Chapter 24

Chapter 24

While Sam and Uncle Bob talked speculatively about what could be inside the chest they found, there was a tense silence at the back seat. Shaun looked out the window trying to avoid Holly.

This was what she didn't want. Will they ever go back to the way they were before?

Something in her told her it was impossible. She remembered the last response from sucker and took out her phone to read it to avoid the sense of loss she felt at what has happened between her and Shaun.

Sucker: I can take it.

She remembered when she saw Shaun busy with his phone that morning while she was texting sucker. Holly replied just to see if she would hear an answering beep in Shaun's phone.

Holly: Are you sure?

When there was no answering beep, Holly broke the tension behind the car and asked Shaun if he had his phone with him.

"Why do you care if I have my phone with me?" Shaun lashed out at her, his green eyes glittered coldly at her.

Holly upset with the way things turned out was unprepared for his anger. She whispered her reply to make sure Sam and Uncle Bob couldn't hear.

"I just thought..."

But before she could finish, Shaun interrupted her.

"That we could go on as if nothing has changed? Come on Holly, we are not kids any more.

If you look at the mirror, you'd see that you don't have two pig-tails and freckles across your nose. And if you'd look closely now in front of you you'd see a sucker for you."

Holly was speechless as she was not sure if Shaun was owning up to being sucker or unconsciously used the word to tell her that he more than liked her.

But before she could respond, Uncle Bob turned around to ask what they thought about asking grandpa to do the honours of opening the chest.

Things between Shaun couldn't get any worse when their four-wheeler turned into the parking area which had urned into a circus as the people from the morgue had arrived to prepare for the requiem and the Sheriff came as it involved a missing person and an unsolved case.

It looked like Ranger Sam beat them back to the campsite as Jake swoop down on their car and promptly carried Holly out of the car into the breakfast room where everybody had gathered. Shaun showed his disapproval by slamming out of his side of the door.

"I can walk, let me down Jake!" Holly protested Jakes's high-handed ness.

His lips compressed focused on carrying Holly to the couch, Jake answered blandly that he had to make sure that he kept his promise to Mr. Schuster that she would not suffer any strain on her injured ankle. He put her down on the couch and retreated to a corner to observe the proceedings at the breakfast table.

Everyone including the Schusters, the Fields, the Sheriff and Ranger Ron were standing around the table where Uncle Bob had laid the chest they brought back. They were all staring with anticipation and apprehension at what would be uncovered.

Someone gave Grandpa Schuster a chisel and he gently pride open what was left of the cover. Rust covered with shells and corals, it was hard to tell the true shape of the chest but the chest opened releasing a last splash of sea water before it surrendered its contents.

Everybody leaned forward to see the contents especially the Sheriff. Grandpa Schuster began to cry as he reached in to take out what was left of two waxed documents. There was no gold.

Grandpa Schuster with tears rolling down his face, read the marriage certificate of a David Schuster and Emma Samuels in 1916 at the Franklin Baptist Church signed by Reverend Christopher Samuels. The second document was not so well preserved but the verses of Psalm 119 "...Lord is my shepherd I shall not be in want." could still be discerned.

The town Sheriff cut into the emotional moment and declared that David Schuster was no longer a suspect and everyone broke out in applause with many Schuster women brushing away tears.

Jake looked across at Holly and met her brimming eyes. She dashed away the tears and gave him a questioning glance to which he just smiled enigmatically.

-------------

Heyyy:) this is one of those short chapters:p what do u think about this book so far? Comment! vote! Any questions, feel free to post or inbox me:) see yaaa:)))))