Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"Sam! Holly! Wake up! We are going to arrive soon." Amelia Schuster announced.

Holly raised her head groggily which was stuffed under Sam's armpits. She pushed herself up and jabbed her elbow into Sam who snapped awake. "Go away!" Sam grunted but turned too quickly and smacked his head against Holly's.

"OW!" They both screamed at the same time. Holly was about to smack him when something caught her eye.

"The Green Lakes". There was holy silence as everybody in the car stared in awe at the still blue green sea of water against the green lush surrounding , the crystal clear water twinkling against the sun. The Green Lakes was part of the local attraction of Gahanna, an old village created by the Franklin city council in 1976 to recognize the "unique characteristics, history, existing uses and potential of the original part of Gahanna." This area once, the 19th century rural village is today part of the second largest populated municipality in Franklin country.

The Green Lakes were important to the inhabitants of Ohio just as it was important to the Schusters because it was part of the family tradition to retreat to the cabins each summer for the last 30 years. Ever since great grandpa Schuster came and settled in Gahana after the revolution it is home and more to the next generations of Schusters who had lived there. Even though the family house made way for new apartment blocks, the present Schusters still made their annual retreat there a sacred time. It was bonding between members of the family and their history as well.

"WE ARE HEREEE!!!" Holly screamed into Sam's ear.

"YA DON'T SAY SISTA!" Sam screamed back now with his eyes open.

"Don't start anything that's going to spoil the mood now." Micheal Schuster called from the wheel.

"Yes dad, " they said in unison glaring at one another.

The Green Lakes rangers cabin and management facilities were all situated near the entrance to the camp in small Finnish log cabins just like the ones the Schusters had booked for their retreat. Holly and Sam wanted to get out as soon as the car stopped. The place always gave them a cozy welcome home feeling. Micheal parked the car at their usual spot and made his way straight to the check in counter where Mr. Paul Green was.

Holly was looking around and remarked about how time stood still at the place. The boats for kayaking were still the faded yellow and hopefully do not spring the leaks it had last year. Holly stretched her neck out to check to see if the flying fox wire that allowed them to careen from one side of the lake to the other was still there.

Suddenly, a hand covered her eyes. Holly jumped up and let out a scream but was covered by the other hand. "Guess who?" A deep voice said. Holly instantly recognized the voice.

"SHAUN?!" Holly quickly pulled away the hands covering her eyes and she turned around. instead of Shaun who was a half head shorter than her, the cool tanned dude standing in front of her had those clear blue eyes that belonged to Shaun but he was half a head taller and had filled out. Although his dark brown hair was still a mess, the grin he was sporting could really turn a girl's heart. Holly was drawn to the bulges on the arms and the legs that made the khakis and scruffy shirt seemed almost sexy.

"Shaun is that you?? What d'ya do...eat a bunch of steroids?"

He regarded her with amusement and a little something else as he looked at her from head to toe.

"Whats da matter you don't like it?" he asked.

"Doesn't matter whether I like it or not but you have become dangerous to pheromones" Holly replied giving him a hug. She'd missed him.