Chapter 1: Kink in the Plan

Hey! This is my first Rebels fan-fic, so forgive me if things are a little off.A lot of this story is pre-made, originally written before even 'Empire Day' was shown.

Disclaimer: If I owned Star Wars: Rebels... I'd probably just give it back to Disney. I'm too afraid I'd mess it up.

"Damn it Kanan, I thought you said this would be easy! Just a standard delivery!" Spectre 2's angry voice crackled through the Jedi's comm loud and clear as Hera voiced her displeasure at their current predicament. Kanan shot a discharge of energy out of his blaster before responding over the sounds of battle.

"That's what my contact said too! There shouldn't have been more than five bucket-heads here!" However, it was obvious there were way more than five guards at the Imperial base. Nestled on an asteroid, the only use it was to the Empire was as a refueling station, but with the planet of Lothal almost within visual range, it was hardly used. Why there were over two legions at the nearly abandoned base was anyone's guess.

A blast of red energy collided with the crate in front of him, and Kanan returned the favor to the soldier who'd shot it. He hadn't needed to, though, as a ball of yellow energy took out the stormtrooper before Kanan had even shot his weapon. He glanced over at his right, towards the origin of the ball: Ezra.

He'd been Kanan's apprentice for a year and a half now. They still had yet to get him a lightsaber. His own was still clipped to his belt, as their situation was not yet dire enough for him to pull it out. However, if things progressed in the way they were currently heading, the need for the energy blade may become more urgent. Ezra, however, was doing well. His navy hair was swinging to and fro, matching the teen's dashes that successfully took him out of the incoming bullet's range. He didn't have a blaster, as he wasn't a fighting-type member of their crew, and because a blaster would mostly interfere with his sneaky in-and-out roles to play in their missions. However, he was firing ball after ball of energy from his arm sling, distracting the troopers long enough to allow either him or Zeb to finish them off.

The Lasat, while not able to bash their enemies's heads in personally, was still firing shot after shot, a look of fierce, feral enjoyment etched onto his purple features. His rifle added a lower pitched tone to the battle, a steady rhythm that sounded injury to the other side with every blast.

A roar sounded as the Ghost streaked above them, firing down at the enemy while being pursued by six Ties. Kanan had to hand it to Hera, she was a mean pilot when needed. She neatly evaded the green shots her pursuers fired out, while Sabine fired out at them from the back. Kanan was very glad he'd allowed the Mandalorian to stay aboard the ship. Without Sabine adding constant fire to the Ties to keep them occupied, Kanan felt sure they'd come down and attack the three members of the Ghost crew stranded on the ground.

A cry sounded out from the bucket-heads in front of them, bringing Kanan's attention to the battle at hand. Hera and Sabine could take care of themselves, he would just have to trust in the Force that they could as well. Looking straight ahead at the battle, Kanan witnessed another trooper fall down, twitching slightly. Another victim to Ezra's sling.

With the aid of the Force, the boy had been able to increase his aim even more, to the point of him being able to shoot between the cracks on the bucket- heads armor, straight to the fleshy soldier underneath. Combined with the reflexes and aim he'd picked up fending for himself as a child, Ezra made for an excellent fighter.

This was one of the reasons Kanan had held back on giving his Padawan a lightsaber.

Kanan was scared. Scared that with the addition of a laser-blade, Ezra would become attached to fighting. Yes, they all wanted to take a bight out of the Empire. Ezra even more so, with the deaths of his parents and his forced life on the streets. But Kanan was scared that every time they fought a battle, the young teen might be driven closer to the Dark side. That because of his past, Ezra would give in to his anger and fear, let the Dark pull him into it's deadly embrace. He feared that with the addition of a better weapon, Ezra would become engrossed with the fights, and that the lure of evil would grow stronger on his apprentice. Kanan knew exactly how that felt.