Chapter 2: Separation

Disclaimer: I do not own Disney, or Star Wars: Rebels, etc... though if I did, I'd probably just give it back.

Ezra was no stranger to fear. He'd practically grown up with it. But this was something different, something that sent chills into the young boy's heart. Yeah, he was afraid of the Inquisitor, there was no denying that. The Pau'an possessed a terrifying, hunter- like presence that made Ezra want to run away as far as he could. But that was manageable. He could escape the Inquisitor, escape his presence and sight. But this? This fear was different.

Ezra was afraid for Kanan. So far, in all their encounters, the Inquisitor had proven he was more than a match for his Master. A drawn out battle with him could only end one way. This fear that Ezra possessed could not be escaped. He could not run away from it. This was a fear inside of his head, and no matter where he ran, it would all ways be there with him. He feared for his teacher's life, and that would't change, no matter how far away Ezra ran. He had respect for his Master, and an attachment that he couldn't deny. Over the months they had been together, Kanan had shown Ezra what it was like to have real bonds. Almost as though they were his family.

Ezra knew he would do whatever it took to protect his new family bonds.

"Kid, come on! We can get in some shots at the Ties from over there!" Zeb pulled Ezra's mind from his teacher, and the navy-haired youth spun around to see exactly where the Lasat was indicating.

A single purple finger was pointing at the top of the building to their right. Ezra saw there were plenty of handholds for the Lasat to climb up and take aim at the enemy ships. Before the Imperials had sprung, they had actually managed to reach the weapons, and Zeb had immediately grabbed the biggest gun in there. Looking more closely at it, Ezra recognized the form of a T-7 Ion Disrupter. Now he understood why the Lasat had refrained from using it in close quarters with the stormtroopers. It would've torn them apart.

However, Ezra could see his friend had no qualms whatsoever about using the deadly weapon on the Ties that were chasing after the Ghost.

"Spectre 6 to Ghost: bring the ship closer to Spectre 4. We have a surprise for those bucket-heads." Ezra spoke into his commlink, left arm limp beside him. It was still movable, but painfully so.

Zeb jumped onto the wall of the building, and began climbing up it. Ezra lifted his arm slowly, and resumed his barrage of energy towards the stormtroopers advancing on them. Kanan was still holding up against the Inquisitor, and it seemed the troops around them ignored the Force-user's battle, instead focusing on the two Spectres ahead of them. Whether or not they were doing so on the Inquisitor's orders or not, Ezra wasn't sure.

"Kid?! You coming or what?" Zeb had reached the top of the building, and was in the process of setting up his gun. Ezra gave him a look of incredulity, and gestured to the singed portion of his arm. "You think I'm gonna be climbing anything with this?!" A portion of Ezra's personality had worked it's way through his mask of fear. The Lasat grunted, then resumed his unpacking.

"Just don't die down there; I don't wanna haf'ta drag you back." Ezra shook his head and returned his focus on the oncoming soldiers.

An explosion sounded above, and Ezra saw that Zeb had hit his mark. A Tie was streaking down to the ground, smoke trailing out of it. With a jolt of fear, the young teen saw that it was headed straight towards the overhang his Master was currently dueling under. As though in slow motion, the Tie connected with the thin structure. It exploded upon impact, sending out a shock wave that even reached Ezra. Cracks appeared on the bottom of the overhang, although it thankfully did not cave in.

But the collision had done it's damage. As Kanan and the Inquisitor had been directly underneath the overhang, the shock wave had been stronger there, successfully knocking both combatants to the ground. The Inquisitor had been knocked back in the direction of his ship, while Kanan had merely been blown over. Relief flooded through Ezra, but it was only temporary.