Chapter 12: Infiltration

Disclaimer: You see, Disney has, like, legal documents, proving that Rebels is theirs.

Slanted= Ezra's thoughts

Bold= Inquisitor's thoughts

The Inquisitor was in a good mood. To say he was happy was an overstatement, he no longer felt such basic emotions as 'happy' or 'sad.' He merely felt.

But right now, he was in an un-naturally good mood.

When he and the Agent had left the boy's room he other day, he hadn't even needed the Force to feel the waves of worry and doubt emanating from the child. It seemed the way to unleash this boy's emotions were simple: plant subconscious doubts in the boy's mind discretely, water them with fear and pain, and allow them to grow.

It was a simple enough formula, but one that the Inquisitor absolutely loved to see in action. No matter who the target was, seeing their will crumble and fail was as exhilarating to the Inquisitor as flying a ship was to others. It was his sport, his one past-time, in which he was deadly good at playing.

As such, the report that Agent Kallus had given him put him into a delightful mood.

The Ghost and her crew were probably still out there, licking their wounds. If they were listening to Imperial news while they recuperated, then it would only be a matter of hours before any hopes of rescuing the boy would be crushed. If they were completely cut off from the media, a couple of days at the most. The report itself would be broadcasted for the next standard week, so they couldn't miss it.

It was quite good, Kallus's voice bringing news that one of the most active terrorists in the Outer Rim systems was finally dead. There was a picture of the child, as incriminating as the Empire could make it, along with the scream that the torture bot, I-84-B, had recorded. It looked exactly like a standard Imperial report, and it would look completely official to the crew of the Ghost.

Granted, it should not have had to be broad-casted at all. If the pilots had actually done their job, the rebels should have been nothing more than space debry floating around the asteroid system. But it seemed thier contact had lied, or at least had been mistaken, in his analysis of the motley crew. They were tenacious, the Pau'an gave them that, but were ultimately nothing more than a thorn in his side. Nothing was supposed to be able to hinder the Inquisitor's goals, and the Ghost was the one thing that could. And because of botched information and sub-standard flying skills, they were still able to ruin what the Inquisitor ad so carefully laid out.

But now, the broadcast was being sent out. Even if they did not keep a regular watch on Imperial news and such, while they conducted investigations on where the boy might possibly be, they were bound to stumble on the report, one way or another. If they refused to believe it, there were official reports of the young boy's death in the records.

The Inquisitor doubted that they would give up without a fight, however. Even if the rebel crew refused to give up on the child, though, there was no way that the Pau'an was going to allow them to make another rescue of the boy. He was too important to the future of the Empire, to the Force. The Inquisitor knew that if he let the child slip through his fingers, he would be losing the chance to rule the galaxy. Power wasn't exactly a concept that the Pau'an drooled over. He'd never wanted power before.

If anything, it was his masters' act of converting the Pau'an to the Dark that had started this... lust. Let the Force rule you. Rule over the Force. That was the way of the Sith, and it had been drilled into the Inquisitor so that even if he forgot his own name, the idea that shaped who he was would never be forgotten. But giving the Pau'an the life-style of mastering the Force had had an unintended side effect. Vader knew that the Sith were under constant threat of being usurped by their apprentices. That was the way of things, ever since the rule of two had gone into practice.