Chapter 18: Erosion

Coming back to consciousness was hard. And painful. Extremely hard and painful.

First off, there was a throbbing bruise on the back of his head. Secondly, his entire body ached and yelled at him to attend to it. Thirdly, he had the most annoying headache ever.

Waking up was very hard when the entire world was screaming at you not to do so.

Ezra Bridger opened his eyes. He was not where he had closed them. In a rush of memories, Ezra remembered what had happened: Kanan had come to save him; he'd escaped from his cell; the troopers had him cornered; Kanan, Zeb and Sabine had saved him; and then... the Inquisitor had come.

Ezra looked at his surroundings so fast that he cricked his neck, causing a whimper of pain. As he rubbed his aching neck with his aching hand, he realized that it didn't take a genius to figure out where he was.

He was back in his cell.

"No.. no no no! NO! Kanan... Zeb... Sabine!" Ezra cried out, not caring if there was anyone outside his cell to notice. He had been so close... so...close...and they had been snatched from him. Rather, he had been snatched from them. They had been so close to escaping, to leaving the Destroyer, to going home... but now he was back in his cell.

Back in his cell, where he couldn't reach out to them. Where he couldn't call for help. Where they couldn't help him. Where the Inquisitor took him away from them.

They had been so close...

Ezra curled up into a ball, dry sobs echoing in the small room. They hadn't even bothered to switch out his cell, only to remodel the food-flap. How did he know it was the same cell? There was blood. Everywhere. He hadn't really recognized it before, but there was blood in almost every corner of the room. He sure had lost a lot of it.

And now he was going to lose even more. Because he had failed. Because he had been too weak to defend himself. Too pathetic to stay awake while Kanan and the others fought the Inquisitor...

Worry tinged his muses. The three Spectres had been alone in the hallway, except for the Inquisitor... had they made it? Surely they made it... escaped off of this hell-hole... ready to try and rescue him again...

But what if they didn't?

No, they made it. They had to have made it. I... I would've felt something if they didn't...

Would you?

Of course I would have... no, they're alive somewhere. I know it. They'll come and rescue me, for real next time... I'll be stronger next time...

His cell door slid open, to reveal the two entities he had come to despise most in this galaxy: The Inquisitor, and Chip.

"Rise and shine young Bridger, don't you know today's a very special day?"

Ezra glared at the Inquisitor, calling forth all the power he could muster to fix him with his cruelest death-stare. The Pau'an only smiled a toothy smile. It was strange though, it was almost as if Ezra was looking at the Inquisitor through a fine mist. He was slightly blurred around the edges.

Apparently Chip had done more than he thought, but when Ezra blinked the haze disappeared.

"Come now... we wouldn't want anything to ruin the special day, now would we?" He tapped his foot once on the ground, and Chip moved forward. It was unavoidable, Ezra flinched backwards as soon as the bot began to move forward. Today, however, Chip only seemed to have a single serum to inject into his blood-stream. He could immediately feel that it was a Force-inhibitor; another one.

"Come along, then, young Bridger." With that, the Inquisitor snapped his fingers and exited the cell. Ezra sat deathly still.

What?! He's...he's... letting me out?"