No Joke

I walk downstairs and find Austin nailing some wood panels to the windows of the front of the house,

"Where did you get those?" I ask,

"There was a pile near the back door, they probably never got around to doing this," he says, "is everything okay up stairs?"

I nod and walk into the kitchen to find Alan rummaging through the cupboards,
"These are still half full- cans of peas, corn, fizzy drinks, chips and more" he says jumping up and down excitedly.

Nala grows restless in her sling, and I take her out and sit her on the floor where she sniffs the ground then tries to hide between my feet.
"I'll look after her!" Says Alan running over and snatching her up and sitting on the couch with Nala in his lap,

"She's probably hungry," I say walking out the back door and inspecting the backyard. It's built with tall wooden fences, which is good because that means no zombies can get in, and it's just a plain and simple backyard with nothing special. I'm about to walk back into the house when I noticed some dug up dirt near the fence. I walk over, wondering what it could be when I realise it's a small grave. Maybe it's for a pet the owners had? But there was none in the photos in the child's room, come to think of it, there was empty picture frame spaces all around the house- they must have taken them down? Then it hits me- this must be the boys grave. Shocked, my words get caught in my throat and you know how in the zombies movies where there's a grave and suddenly a hand sticks up through the grave and a dead person climbs out? Well that's exactly what happens.
I little arm and a little hand pokes out of the ground and after a few second a head and then a little boy climbs out.
Still in utter shock, it's as if I can't move or talk- like I'm stuck in time.
The boy is no older than 5, and is dressed in blue, dirty pyjamas.
He climbs out and lays on his stomach- his face in the dirt when he looks up and stares me straight in the eyes. His little blue eyes piercing through me and making me stumble backwards on my ass.
I scuttle backwards, while the boy crawls towards me reaching out with his arms in an attempt to grab me.
I try to scream, but nothing comes out.
I'm 3 metres away from a grave with a little boy who has just emerged crawling towards me, and I have no idea what to do.
I throw sticks and rocks, but I hear a loud thud behind me, and crack, and the boy drops and lays motionlessly in front of me.
I turn around to see Trent standing in the door way with his gun, and Austin and Alan running past him to help me up.
"What the fuck happened?" Says Austin sounding extremely worried,

"It-it crawled out," I choke pointing towards the grave and the little lifeless boy. What happened to his parents? Are they still alive? Where are they? Too many questions and none are being answered easily.

It never really hit me until now, this is a zombie apocalypse- this is no joke, not a dream, no- this is real.

Sorry for the short chapters lately, I hope you've been enjoying them anyway 😝