Chapter 31

Jessica's POV

I follow the trail past the lake and deep into the woods. Comet bolts through the woods at top speed as my tears are replaced by pure anger. I begin to understand why my parents wanted Comet. Speed is his best asset.

He runs far beyond his own limit of exhaustion, only slowing when I force him to rest up. My phone buzzes in a never ending cycle and I ignore it every time, knowing exactly who it is. When the buzzing stops, I take out my phone and switch it off.

"I hate you. I wish I'd never met your sorry butt." I mutter, not meaning a single word but wishing with every fiber of my being that I could.

Hoofbeats sound out behinde me and I just keep Comet at a slow and steady walk. Then I hear him. His voice.

"Jessica! Wait! I need to talk to you!"

I press on.

"Stop! Please! Hear me out!"

Again, I ignore him.

Then his voice cracks and falters and he speaks in a hushed voice.

"Jess, please..."

Then, all at once, I snap. Hard.

"Don't you think that if I wanted to talk I would have stopped the first time you asked? Don't you think that if I wanted to see you I would have come over and tried to sort this out? You're so... Thick! Mr. Thick Thick Thickety Thick-face! You're 'Mr. Don't- give-a-rats-ass-about-anyone-because- I'm-better-than-them' guy! Get lost, Toby! Go away! You've burned the bridge at both ends and stood in the middle! This is not my fault, Toby, It's yours! I don't want yo see you ever again! Go away and stay away! Get the picture?! Good! Goodbye!"

I pull Comet up short, spin him around, and gallop back to the house, leaving Toby too shocked for words.

As soon as I am home, I head up to Garret's room and knock on his door. I hear a 'come in' from the other side and open the door just before the tears make their reappearance. The second my brother sees my face, all he can say is, "Oh no. What'd he do."

I shake my head and bury my face in his chest as he wraps me tightly in his arms. All the while, he shushes me and tries to calm me down. Once I am calm, he asks me what happened. So, I proceed and tell him everything, and might I just say, he's an.... Interesting person to be around when angry.

"Well, looks like me and this young fellow need to have a conversation on how to treat my little sister." He says, his voice eerily calm.

Oh no. That's not good. I think to myself. Not good at all.

Hey guys! Here's the other chapter as promised! I'm sorry its a little late but I was busy today. It is 11:10 at night where I am so I am off to bed but I wanted to post this chapter as I promised.
I have a few questions:

1) What do you think is going to happen between Jessica and Toby?

2) What do you think is going to happen between Toby and Garrett?

3) What do you think of Jessica's behavior toward Toby trying to make ammends?

I love you all and I hope you all enjoyed the chapter. Goodnight my faithful readers!

~Kassie