Chapter 1

~•~ Chapter 1 ~•~

So hold.. on tight...

Claire's POV

I pressed myself against the wall, making sure I was well hidden in the shadows. The night was cold and scary. The town was dark. The air smelled like blood and danger. My heart pounded in a steady loud pace as I felt the threat coming closer. Sweat trailed down my brow from running for minutes now.

I heard the growl, making my stomach churn with nervoussness. I tightened my grip on my .9mm gun and pushed a loose strand of my hair that escaped my ponytail away from my face. I moved closer to the corner of the abandoned building I was hiding behind from, staring down at the line that the streetlight had created, separating the darkness I was hidden into with the light that would put me at risk.

Another growl, followed by loud footsteps that came closer. I inhaled deeply, preparing myself for what was to come. This could easily go two ways, me surviving, or me becoming of them. I inched even closer to the corner, my hands raised as I held the gun.

I could now see his shadow, hardly walking as he had one broken leg. He could smell my scent, I was aware of that. I had to be quick and as quiet as I could, otherwise that would make others like him chase after me. So with one last deep breath, I left my hidding spot and turned to face him.

Once he saw me, he started growling louder, his pale, wrinkled, with blood painted face becoming harsh as he tried to move faster. He groaned, his white, lifeless eyes staring into mine with hate, as if I was the one who did this to him. I aimed at him, keeping my arms raised and steady. He was only three feet away from me and I could still smell his disgusting scent of rotting flesh and the metalic blood. His clothes were ripped at some points, his jacket had only one sleeve, exposing his bleeding arm. Some of his teeth were missing and his lips were also bleeding, filling his mouth with blood every time he opened it.

He raised his arms, angrily wanting to attack me. Before he could even touch me, I pulled the trigger. With a loud bang, the bullet flew all the way from my gun to his skull and killed him right there. His head jerked backwards before his body collapsed on the ground.

Unfortunately, the shotgun wasn't that quiet as I hoped it would be. I blew a shaky, anxious breath before I heard another growl. I turned my head to see another one, this one coming closer to me faster than the other I had just killed, considering both of his legs were okay. I raised my gun to shoot him, but I decided against it when I saw other two following him. If I wanted to kill them, I needed to be quick and specific, which is difficult with the lack of training I have, because I would lose ammo and it's really difficult to find any.

I swallowed hard and decided to kill them instead of having them chasing after me. Just as I was about to pull the trigger and kill the first one, I heard another growl, but this time, it was from behind me, sending a shiver down my spine. I swung around, my eyes widening and my heart skipping a beat when I saw other two coming towards me, their eyes showing hunger.

Holy crap, they are trying to surround me.

Panic flooded through me, making my heart thud faster. I quickly raised my gun and killed the first two that came from behind me, before turning around to the other three. What made my heart come up to my throat, was that now, they were not three.

They were fucking seven.

I gulped, seeing their ugly faces glaring at me as they growled and came closer. I couldn't waste so many bullets in just one night. I've already killed five a few minutes ago. The ammo won't be enough for me to make it through this month before I find more of them. Fear, anger and anxiety creeped up inside of me, making me purse my lips tightly.