Chapter 43

~•~ Chapter 43 ~•~

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. My insides were twisted upside down and my heart had fallen down to my abdomen. My blood ran cold through my veins and for a moment I forgot how to breathe. The voices and the shotguns hit my ears again, bringing me back to reality. Harry turned to look at me in bewilderment, his green eyes worried.

“No..Kate!” I screamed, sprinting towards her. I ignored everything around me. The zombies that were near me, Harry calling my name, my stinging wound on my arm. Everything.

“Get off you piece of shit!” I practically shoved the zombie off of her with all my strength before stabbing his eye. He screamed in pain but I didn't care. I stabbed him again before yanking the knife out.

I then turned to Kate, who was now covered in her own blood. She cried and gasped, hot tears rolling down her cheeks. Her arm was horrible and the blood was too much. I knew there was nothing I could do, but my heart urged me to stay with her.

“Kate!” I heard Chris yell, voice shocked and pained.

I slipped my arm beneath her head and hot tears burned my eyes. My dump hair fell in front of my face as I held onto her, sobbing. She squeezed her eyes shut and breathed heavily before opening her eyes to look at me with fear. Loud footsteps approached me and I turned around to see Chris next to me, his face covered in shock and sadness. He kneeled down beside me, pain in his deep brown eyes.

“Kate, baby,” He murmured, voice thick, eyes watering.

Kate gasped, her body shaking. Chris took her hand in his, squeezing tightly. Kate was looking back and forth between me and Chris. She was scared, I could see it. She struggled to speak, especially breathe. As tears rolled down my cheeks, I grazed her forehead with my hand and pushed away her messy hair. Chris had given up to be next to her, and that meant a lot to me. The others kept fighting, shouting and shooting, but I blocked them away.

“It's okay,” I murmured, my voice shaky. “You're going to be fine.” I cooed, although my inside world was chaotic.

“I-I'm..” she stuttered, more blood running down her chewed arm, soaking my own clothes. “I'm s-sorry..” she whispered, her voice barely audible.

“It's okay.” I repeated, sobbing. “Kate, you're going to a better place now.” I said smoothly, surprising myself at how calm I stayed.

She shook her head and I noticed how her skin had grown paler. She was scared, it was evident in her blue eyes. She didn't want to die. I didn't want her to die.

“Baby,” Chris murmured, sobbing. Kate looked at him with puffy, teary eyes. “You're strong. You can do this. I love you.”

I believe those three last words killed her from the inside. Her eyes were drowned in sorrow and fear and the despair I felt in that moment crashed my heart.

“I-I love y-you...too..” She whispered, her skin growing even paler. “Both.” she looked at me, making me purse my lips.

“I love you, too. We all do.” I caressed her hair with my hand. “It's okay, Kate. You can let go now.” Please don't leave me.

She shook her head again, reluctant to give up her fight. But there was nothing she could do. I knew it was a matter od seconds before she turned into one of them.

I held her even tightly and leaned down, pressing my head against hers. It pained me so much to see her dying. I saw Chris wiping away his own tears before kissing the back of her hand. I squeezed my eyes shut, fighting the pain inside of me. Let her go. Her body started shaking violently and I pulled back to see foam coming out from her mouth, her eyes wide.