He's Free

After being released from the hospital, I began taking medication for my depression. I try hard to bond with my kids, because I may not get this opportunity again.

Bruno laid out large blanket on the floor in the entertainment room, and all four of us were on the ground. We played with our children, like the happy parents we are.

While playing with my children, the doorbell rang. "Can you get that babe?" Bruno asked me. "Yeah." I stood up, and I walked to the door. I opened the door and he stood in front of me.

"Daddy?" I asked. "Baby girl, I'm free." He said. I stood outside, and I stood face to face with him. I embraced him. This is the first time I have felt his skin. "You look just like your mother." My dad said to me. "Is it here?" My dad asked referring to my children. "Yes, they both are." "Two?" "Yes daddy!" I released tears of joy. "Ca-can I see them?" "Yes." I grabbed his hand, and led him inside.

I closed the door after we both entered the house. "Look who it is! Its grandpa!" Bruno said to the kids. Bruno stood up, and greeted my father. They smacked hands, as if they already knew each other. "Thank you son. For taking care of her. You're a real man!" My dad said to Bruno. "Thank you sir." My dad patted Bruno on the back and then saw Peter and Journee.

"They're so beautiful." My dad said. "What's their names?" "That's Peter." I pointed. "And that's Journee." My dad sat on the floor and picked up Journee. "She looks just like you Crystal. Just like you."

"Hey Alexander, can I get you anything to drink?" Bruno asked. "As hot as it is outside, I would like a cold beer." "I got you!" Bruno said. While Bruno fetched for bottles of beer, I asked my dad a question.

"How did you find us? How did you know I was living here?" I asked. "I may have went to jail for a long time, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid. I have my ways." "I don't understand." I said. "Some things are better to not be understood. I don't understand many things. Like for instance, why your mother left me when she was pregnant with you. Maybe she had a logical reason, maybe she didn't love me anymore. It's better if I don't understand."

"Here you go." Bruno handed my father a bottle of beer and they both drank. "So." My father said. "How'd you like Nathaniel's new face?" My dad asked. That name has not been mentioned in this house for a while, even when I was married to him. "Di-did you give him that black eye and swollen nose?" I asked. "You're pops has hands. He may have been my cellmate, but that doesnt mean i didn't have some help."

"Oh my God. How did you not get caught?" I asked. "I put him in a corner where the security cameras could not capture me and the others. So we gave him what he deserved." My dad said.