11- School Shopping

Maya's POV

I woke up in Uncle Ash's room, unsure of how I got there. He came out of the bathroom with sweatpants and a ripped tee.

"Hey, sleepy head," he said, sitting down next to me.

"Hi. Why am I in here?" I asked.

"I was going to carry you to your room last night, but that plan kind of failed. I set you down on the bed for one second, and you were out," he said.

"Oh," I said. "Uncle Ash, can I talk to you?"

"Sure. What's up, kiddo?"

"I feel like I'm not as close to you as I am with the others and I want to be," I said.

"I know. I feel the same way. How about tomorrow you and me spend the day together?"

"I'd love that," I said and went to my room.

Dad walked through the open doorway.

"Hey," he said and kissed my forehead.

"Morning, Dad," I replied.

"More like afternoon. It's two o'clock."

"Seriously? I slept that long?" I asked.

"Yeah. We're getting you your school supplies today. You start in two days," he said.

"Okay. Can Nick come?" I asked.

"Why?"

"Well, I'm going to the same school as him. He probably knows what I need, so he can help," I said.

"Fine. I'll have Calum ask him," he said.

"Thanks, Dad. When are we leaving?"

"Whenever you're ready. We can pick Nick up on the way over there," he said and left me to get ready.

I went and took a shower so I could get the smell of smoke from the bonfire off me. I put on a pair of skinny jeans, a random shirt from my closet, and my blue Converse. I put on my beanie and went downstairs. Dad and Uncle Cal sat at the table.

I made a sandwich and sat with Uncle Ash in the living room. We were watching something on TV while waiting for Luke.

"So, what are we doing tomorrow?" I asked him.

"There are a few things I have in mind," he said, a smirk on his face.

"I can't wait. I love you, Uncle Ash," I said and hugged him.

Luke came down soon after, and we left.

*~*

Nick texted Calum his address. We arrived at his house, and he ran towards the car in a full-out sprint. He jumped in next to me and shut the door.

"Drive," he said. "Now!"

"Why?" I asked. Someone came out of his house yelling.

"That's why. Go!" Nick yelled. Dad sped down the street.

"What was that about?" I asked.

"I didn't do my chores yesterday or this morning, so my mum's really mad," he said.

"So what? You can do them later," I said.

"My parents are those people who want everything to be perfect. Perfect job, perfect house, perfect family. My brother and sister fit the description. They're the perfect kids, you know," he said and his face fell. "I'm not perfect to them. I'm the difficult child. They're always harder on me."

"You are perfect, Nick. Just because they think otherwise doesn't mean you're not. You like punk rock music. You wear beanies and old, beat-up shoes. So what? That's who you are. Your parents can cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it because they don't get to decide who you are," I said.

Everyone stared at me in shock.

"Thank you, Maya. No one's ever said something like that to me before," Nick said.

"Well someone had to do it," I said and smiled. "By the way, love the glasses."

He replied by saying in my ear, "I know you do."

*~*

We arrived at the store and got out of the car. We went inside and turned to Nick.

"Let's go over to where the school supplies are. Most of the stuff will be there," he said, and we followed him.

I got some pens, pencils, a calculator, colored pencils, paper, a binder, pencil bag, and a few other things. Luke started chasing me around the store, and I hit him with a notebook.

Nick stood awkwardly at the other end of the aisle. He looked down at his phone. I found myself studying him. The way he stood, how he pushed his glasses up with his middle finger, how his hair poked out from under his beanie in the front.

"Go," Uncle Cal said behind me.

"What?"

"Go talk to him. I know you want to," he said.

I smiled and walked over to Nick. His face brightened when he saw me.

"Hey," he said and put his phone in his pocket.

"I've been thinking about what you said," I told him.

"And?"

"And I've made my decision. It's a yes. I'll be your girlfriend," I said.

"Yes!" He exclaimed went to kiss me, but I pushed him back.

"There is one thing. We have to keep it a secret from my dad and the others," I said.

"Okay. As long as I know you're mine."

I smiled at him and peered my head around the aisle to find Dad. Nick slid his arm around my waist, burying his head in my shoulder in a way that he couldn't be seen.

"Dad, Nick's going to help me find a few things for my locker," I said.

I grabbed Nick's hand and went down two aisles. He wrapped his arms around my waist once more, and I put mine around his neck. We leaned in, and our lips met in the middle. It didn't feel like sparks flying. More like the finale at a fireworks show.

It was ruined by someone taking a picture.

"Really, Uncle Cal?" I scoffed in fake annoyance.

"I couldn't resist," he said.

"Promise you won't tell Dad?"

"Your secret's safe with me," he said, and we walked back to the guys.

*~*

We all went back to the house and played FIFA for a little. Nick and I went up to my room and watched YouTube on his phone. We cuddled until he had to leave.

I went downstairs to eat dinner with the guys. As we ate, I smiled to myself.

I had a boyfriend who cared about me. I lived with my dad, brother, and uncles who would do anything for me. Also, a large family that loved me. I couldn't ask for more.