14- Party

Maya's POV

Luke got in the car and started driving. His face was back to a look of disappointment with a hint of anger.

"What the hell was that all about?" He asked in an agitated tone.

I told him in detail what happened with Stephanie.

"I don't know why I did it. I just wasn't thinking. I didn't want it to be true," I said.

Luke sighed and pulled over. I leaned further back in my seat and looked out the window.

"Maya, look at me," he said. I shook my head, not wanting him to see the tears that started forming. "Maya Clifford, look at me."

I turned to his side of the car, our eyes meeting, praying my eyes weren't red.

"What?"

"I love you so much. We all do. You are not a publicity stunt. Adopting you was Michael's decision. No one made him do it. That girl's just jealous of you. You are an amazing, funny, and beautiful girl. Don't believe her, okay?"

"Okay," I whispered, and he went back on the road.

"I told your dad that you got sick at school. I'm taking you to my mum's house for a couple of hours. Later, you have to tell your dad the truth," he said.

"Do I have to? He's going to be disappointed," I said.

"I'll be there with you. It'll be alright."

"How do you know? Do you know what it's like to see disappointment in your father's eyes because you did something wrong?" I yelled. He said nothing. "That's what I thought."

Luke sighed for probably the tenth time and slammed on the gas.

Luke POV

I didn't know what to do with Maya. She was always getting into trouble. I tried to help her, but it felt like I was making things worse.

I saw that she was on her phone so I took it and threw it in the backseat.

"What the hell, Luke?" She yelled.

"Get used to not having a phone. If this is how you're going to act, it's going to happen a lot more often."

"Just leave me alone," she mumbled and turned away.

"Do you hate me?" I asked her.

"I said to leave me alone!"

"And I asked a question, so you better answer. I'm an adult."

"You look like you're sixteen," she scoffed. "And no, I don't hate you. I'm just really upset right now."

"With me?"

She ignored my question, turning up the radio to end the conversation.

Maya's POV

We pulled up in front of Liz's house. I got out of the car and ran to the front door. Liz opened it after Luke knocked, and I went inside.

"What's going on?" She asked.

"Can I talk to you upstairs?" Luke asked.

They left the room, leaving me alone. I heard a few shouts, and Luke stomped downstairs.

"I'll pick you up in a couple of hours. Don't get in trouble," he said and left.

"Want to talk about what happened?" Liz asked. I nodded and told her about the fight.

"I don't know what to do. My dad's going to hate me. All I do is cause the guys trouble. What's wrong with me?" I said and put my head in my hands.

"Maya, don't be so hard on yourself. Your father won't hate you, either. The guys love you no matter how much trouble you cause. You don't need to worry," she said.