19- Broken Promises

3 weeks later

Maya's POV

I'd been homesick lately. I was fine after the first concert. Now I hardly even talked to anyone. The guys had to drag me out of my bunk or out of the hotel.

I was on the couch in my hotel room with my head on Luke's chest while he played with my hair. Dad walked in and sighed in frustration.

"That's it. I'm done with this. Maya, go get dressed. We're going out," he said.

"I don't want to," I mumbled.

"Maya, it's not good for you to be inside all the time. I know you miss home, but you can't act like this for the next five months," he said.

"Fine," I said.

I grabbed some clothes and took a shower. The two of us left when I was ready.

Neither of us said anything as we walked around Rio. No fans came up to us and asked for pictures. It was peaceful. We stopped by the beach and admired the view.

"How do you like the tour so far?" Dad asked, breaking the silence.

"It's cool getting to go to different countries and everything," I said.

He was about to say something, but he was cut off by a scream. We looked up and saw a group of people coming towards us. Dad grabbed my hand and we ran. My hand slipped from his grasp and I got lost in the crowd. I looked around, but I couldn't find him.

I walked to a nearby restaurant and sat in the corner by a window. Soon after, a boy came in and walked up to me.

"Do you mind if I sit here?" He asked. His American accent stood out against the ones around us.

"Go ahead," I said, and he sat down.

"My name's Jacob."

"Maya. What're you doing here in Brazil?" I asked, trying to start a conversation.

"I'm on vacation with my family. You?" He asked.

"I'm with my dad and his band," I said.

"Oh, cool. So, why is a pretty girl like you sitting here alone?" He asked.

"First of all, I have a boyfriend. Second, my dad and I were running from some fans and we got separated," I said.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know," he said.

"It's okay."

"What band is your dad in?" Jacob asked.

"5 Seconds of Summer. I was adopted by the guitarist," I explained.

"I heard about that. My friend's a big fan."

I was about to say something but stopped when I saw a flash out of the corner of my eye. I looked out the window and saw paparazzi outside.

"We have to go," I said.

I grabbed his hand and ran outside. I went to the other side of the street and they followed us. I ran down different streets trying to get away from them. We ran two or three miles before we lost them. Jacob and I leaned up against a wall, trying to catch our breath.

"I'm sorry about that. I didn't think they would follow me," I said between breaths.

"It's okay," he said. "I was planning on going for a run, anyway."

I laughed dryly and checked the time. Dad must've been going crazy. At that moment, Luke called me.

"Where the hell are you? We're all worried sick! Michael's about to call Interpol or something," Luke yelled.