35- Our Fate

Maya's POV

Today, I would learn my fate. I'd find out if I was staying with Dad or if I was being taken away from him.

Who was I kidding? It wasn't just my fate. It was our fate. The results of this would affect all of us.

I was nervous beyond belief. My heart was racing and my hands were shaking. Uncle Ash noticed and put his large hands over mine. I flinched.

"I'm sorry for yelling at you and for scaring you. I wasn't thinking. I didn't mean what I said. I love you so much. You're my teddy bear," he said.

I smiled. He remembered his nickname for me. I hugged him.

"I forgive you. I love you too, Uncle Ash," I said.

He looked happy, but I knew there was sadness underneath his smile. I gave him the same look before going up to my room.

Dad was on my bed with a picture in his hand. He had tears in his eyes and his nose was red. I sat down beside him and he handed me the picture.

It was of me, him, and the guys at the water park. It was the first picture we took together as a family. Family. These guys were my family. What was I going to do if I lost them?

"I was going to give this to you for your birthday, but it must've fallen under my bed. I want you to have it, just in case," he said and sniffled.

I wrapped my arms around him and let a few tears slip. He pulled away.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't- I'm sorry. I love you so much, Maya. Remember that," he said.

"I love you too, Dad. No matter what," I said.

We got up and went downstairs where the guys were waiting. I gave them all big hugs before getting in the car.

*~*

We were the first ones to get there. Our lawyer came running in. He smiled, but he seemed nervous.

Why was he nervous, I thought. We would be fine, right? Right?

Nick's parents walked in with their lawyer. They showed no emotion as they took their seats. The judge walked in and called the meeting to order.

"After careful evaluation, I have come to a decision. Michael Clifford's custody of Maya Clifford has been..."

Calum's POV

"After careful evaluation, I have come to a decision. Michael Clifford's custody of Maya Clifford has been revoked."

My heart sank as soon as he finished that sentence.

"Maya will be put into foster care immediately. A foster family will be notified. She may go back to her guardian's house and pack her things. This meeting is over," he said.

"Wait, please. Can we at least have a few more days with her? Michael pleaded.

"No. I'm sorry. You may go now," the judge said and exited the courtroom.

Maya fell to the floor. Ashton did the same. Luke stood there with tears streaming down his face.

"No. No. This can't be happening," Michael mumbled and tugged on his hair.

I ran to the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. I gripped the sides of the sink and breathed heavily. I screamed and punched the mirror again and again until it broke.

I was about to slam my fist into the wall when someone grabbed my hand. It was Ashton. The look on his face made me relax. I put my arm down and covered my face with one hand.

"Why are they doing this? What did we do wrong?" I cried.

"I don't know, mate. I wish I knew," he said.

I shook my head and walked out of the bathroom. The five of us walked outside and were bombarded by paps. It was overwhelming for Maya, so Ashton pushed through the crowd to get her to the car.

"5 Seconds of Summer, is there anything you want to say about this?" I heard someone say.

I stuck up the middle finger and said, "This isn't over."

Michael's POV

"5 Seconds of Summer, is there anything you want to say about his?" One person asked.

"This isn't over," Calum said and stormed off to the car.

I looked straight into the camera.

"This whole thing is fucked up. To the people who did this to us, congratulations. You just tore my family apart. Put that in your article or on TV for everyone to see," I yelled and went to the car.

I sped down the street and didn't stop.