28- Friends

Maya's POV

After the funeral, the miscellaneous family came over. Everyone was talking in the living room and the kitchen. Their voices filled the house.

I sat at the top of the stairs with my head in my hands. The noise got louder and my head started hurting. I blocked my ears and sang softly to try to drown everyone out. I felt someone sit next to me. I tilted my head to the side and saw it was Ben.

"What're you doing up here? Why aren't you with your friends?" He asked. I shrugged my shoulders.

"You should go see them. They miss you," he said.

I nodded and went to my room to change out of my dress. I came back out wearing joggers and one of my band shirts.

My friends were sitting at the table on the patio. Leila and Jessica ran and pulled me in for a hug.

"We missed you so much. We thought we lost you," Leila said.

"I missed you guys too," I said and sat down on Thomas's left.

"It's great to have you back, Maya. I missed you. A lot," he said.

"It feels great to be back. I'm happy to see some familiar faces."

"So what was it like? The whole kidnapping thing?" Jessica asked.

"It was terrifying. When you're down there, you lose track of time. After a while, you start to lose hope. When I saw Nick the day they rescued me, I was so happy. It didn't even seem real. We barely made it out the door when it happened," I said and choked up.

Thomas put his hand over mine and squeezed.

"We miss him too, Maya. We're going to be okay," he said.

"Thank you guys for being my friends. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Well, actually, I have something to tell you," Jessica said. "I'm moving."

"What?" 

"My dad got transferred to America for his job. We leave in two weeks."

I couldn't take it. I got up and ran inside. Dad grabbed my arm.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Everything," I said and ran to my room.

*~*

I stayed there for an hour until someone opened my door. Jessica sat down next to me on the floor.

"Hey," she mumbled. I hugged her from the side.

"I'm sorry I ran off. I shouldn't have done that," I said.

"It's okay. I know you're going through a lot."

"Why do you have to leave?" 

"My dad's making me. He said if I don't like it after the first semester then I can come home. My mom is staying here," she said.

"Good. I don't want to lose you too," I said and went back outside to see my family.

Luke's POV

Seeing Maya like this made me think of Alyssa. I missed her so much. Not a day went by when I didn't think of her.

After everyone went home, I locked myself in my room. I took out my laptop and scrolled through my files until I found the right one.

My girl

There were so many pictures and videos of us. I started a slideshow from the beginning. There were pictures of us from before we were even together. Then, a video of me asking her out. That day was perfect. I wanted it to be something she'd never forget. She took it to her grave.

Photograph after photograph showed up on the screen. There were so many. Alyssa loved taking them. She wanted to keep our memories alive.

The last video popped up. It was the day of our anniversary. We were at the bottom of a huge hill that we had just rolled down.

"Come chase me, Luke. You know you want to," she taunted and ran off.

I was so dizzy that day. I didn't know how she was able to run. She laughed as I attempted to chase after her. Her blue eyes sparkled and her curly, blonde hair spilled out of her messy bun.

She was so beautiful. How did I manage to end up with someone as perfect as her?

"Why did you have to go, Alyssa? I miss you so much," I said

I touched the screen where her hand was. We used to do this all the time. We'd put our hands against each other. I'd laugh at how small her hands were compared to mine.

My door opened and I shut my laptop.

Michael entered the room and said, "Hey. What're you doing?"

"Nothing," I said, my tone sharp.

"Alyssa?"

I nodded my head. I rubbed my face and my hand came back wet. I didn't realize I was crying.

"Come downstairs and watch a movie with us," he said.

I nodded and followed him out the door. I sat down on the couch and Maya snuggled up next to me.

"My head hurts," she said.

Ashton gave her some medicine and she relaxed in my arms. She was slowly falling asleep. I picked her up and carried her to my room, lying her down underneath the comforter. I was about to leave when she stopped me.

"Stay with me? Please," she said.

I nodded and snuggled up next to her. I had my arms around her as she slowly fell asleep.

I kissed her forehead and said, "I love you, little sis."

"Goodnight, Lukey," she whispered.

"Goodnight, Maya."