16- Last Day

Time Skip - 4 Months later

Maya's POV

The past few months had gone by fast. It felt like just yesterday Dad walked into the adoption center. Nick and I were still together; Uncle Cal had kept our secret so far.

Right now, we were packing for the tour. Well, the guys were. The four of them were running around the house, making sure we had everything.

I would've been helping but I felt terrible. My stomach was hurting, and I'd gotten sick this morning all over the floor of my room. I was confined to my room, forced to rest even though I wasn't really complaining.

I woke up from a nap as Dad walked in. He sat down next to me and pushed my hair out of my face, resting his hand on my forehead.

"How're you feeling?" He asked as he took my temperature.

"Awful."

I felt another wave of nausea. Dad followed me as I ran to the bathroom. He held my hair back as I threw up what little food was in my stomach.

"I'm sorry, Maya," he said as he rubbed my back.

I brushed my teeth and lay back down. Dad took out my suitcase. He began to pack my clothes and some shoes.

"Can my friends come over?" I asked.

"Maya, you're sick."

"Please. I won't be able to see them until the break in five months. Just for a few hours."

After a few minutes of trying to persuade him, he agreed.

Soon, Nick, Leila, Jessica, and Thomas came in. We all lay down on my bed and watched movies on my laptop. I rested my head on Nick's chest, and he wrapped his arm around me, holding me close but not so much that it'd be hard to move away in a second.

The four of them sat up after the second movie was over, creating a circle on my bed.

"We got you some going away gifts," Nick said.

"Guys, you didn't-"

"Maya, you're our friend. We wanted to do this," Leila said.

"We know you're not going away forever, but eight months with only a two-week break in between?" Nick said, grimacing.

"It feels like a long time," Thomas finished.

"Alright," I sighed with fake contempt. "You guys are the best."

They each handed me a gift. Leila gave me a camera. Thomas bought me some band bracelets, and Jessica got me some band merch.

Nick went last. He handed me a small box.

I couldn't help smiling as I slowly undid the ribbon keeping the box closed. He watched as I pried the edges up to reveal a bracelet. It was a silver band with words written on the inside.

I'm in love with you and all your little things.

"Thank you so much, Nick. I love it," I said and hugged him.

We listened to music and talked until they had to leave. Nick and I were lying down on my bed. He was sleeping over, and Dad was having me keep the door open.

I rested my head on his chest and moved my hand around until I found his, lacing them. He brought our hands to his lips and kissed mine softly.

"Tomorrow's our four-month anniversary, and I won't even be here to celebrate," I said.

"I know, but it's okay. I know you would be here if you could," Nick said. "I'll stay with you until you leave. That way we can spend as much time together as we can."

"I should get some sleep. Goodnight, Nicky."

"Goodnight, Maya."

I snuggled further into his chest and fell asleep to the sound of his heart beating.

-

We were all at the airport waiting for our flight to be called. The guy's families were here to say goodbye. I had already talked to them so I was with my friends.

"Text me every day. I wanna know what it's like to travel the world," Leila said as she hugged me.

"Will do. And I'll make sure to use the camera," I told her as I smile and moved to say goodbye to Jessica.

Thomas squeezed me once it was his turn.

"I'll take care of Nick. Just come home," he whispered. "Don't do anything stupid to get yourself arrested in another country."

I smiled at the curly, dark-haired boy in front of me and turned around. One more to go.

"Nicky," I said and held out my hand.

He gently tugged on my wrist and pulled me into his embrace. I put my arms around him, gripping his shoulders so tight my knuckles were pale. He held me tighter as the tears started falling.

"Happy anniversary," I whispered in his ear.

"Happy anniversary, Maya."

"I'm going to miss you so much."

"I'm going to miss you, too."

We moved to a more secluded area. Nick has me pinned between him and the wall as I kissed him.

Our flight was called. I grabbed onto Nick's arm while our lips were still touching. Dad was calling my name, but I didn't move. I wanted to enjoy this moment with my boyfriend before I had to leave.

Nick broke the kiss and said, "You should go before they come looking for you. They'll see us."

"I know," I sigh and lace my hand with his for a moment. "Walk with me."

The two of us stepped back out into the open and walked to the gate. I turned to him as Uncle Cal started towards us.

"Bye," I said softly, smiling through the tears that were once again forming.

I couldn't hear his reply because Uncle Cal grabbed me by the waist and threw me over his shoulder.

"Took long enough," he scoffed.

I said nothing as I lifted my head to find Nick watching us leave. He looked heartbroken as he waved goodbye, disappearing from view as we entered the hallway.

We got on the plane, and I collapsed into Calum's arms. I let my emotions take over me as I buried my face in his neck, quiet sobs escaping my mouth. Calum held me and rubbed my back while stroking my hair.

"You're gonna be okay. It's only for a few months," Uncle Cal said.

"I've never been away from someone I care about for that long. I've never had anyone to miss," I said.

I got up and ran to the bathroom. Calum threw the door open just as I got sick. He pulled my hair back as I threw up. I rinsed my mouth out, and he carried me back to my seat.

"It's our four-month anniversary and I can't even be with him," I whispered.

"You saw him for a little while. A short amount of time is better than no time at all," he replied.

"Does being away get any easier?"

"Yeah, it just takes time. And I'm doing what I love. It's not so bad."

"Maybe not for you, but I'm stuck with you four for the next eight months," I said jokingly.

"Get used to it, Maya," he said and ruffled my hair. "We're not going anywhere."

"Well, technically you're going to London, and I'm here with you."

"Oh, shut up. You really are Michael's daughter."

I smiled and curled into a ball beside him, deciding to sleep during the flight.