15- The Truth

Maya's POV

Everyone went home after a few hours, leaving the six of us to spend time together.

Uncle Cal and Uncle Ash were in the middle of a dance battle because their sugar high from all the cake hadn't ended yet. Dad was contributing as a spectator, shouting over their trash talk.

"Luke, I need to talk to you," I said to the blonde while the others were distracted.

He was silent, staring at his phone. I grabbed his arm dragged him to the kitchen. He grabbed a bottle of beer from, but I took it from him.

"Seriously? Come on, Maya. Give it back," he said, trying to grab it.

I pulled it out of his reach and said, "I'm sorry."

"What?"

"I'm sorry for yelling at you. I was more mad at myself than I was at you. I'm sorry."

"I know," Luke said and opened his arms for me to move into. "I forgive you."

His lip ring felt cold against my skin as he kisses my forehead.

"We still have to tell my dad what happened, huh?" I asked.

"Yes. Unfortunately we do."

"He's going to be mad."

"I know, but I'll be there. It'll be fine."

Trusting Luke, we went back to the living room. Luke stood behind me for reassurance as I sat down across from Dad.

"Dad, I have to tell you something," I said, pulling his attention away from the other two.

"What is it, baby girl?" He asked.

"I got suspended," I said quickly.

"What?"

"I didn't get sick at school. I got into a fight. I'm suspended for three days."

"What happened?" Dad asked, scowling.

"Some girl started yelling at me. She was sayings things that were rude and hurtful. She said I was a publicity stunt. She hit me first. I was just defending myself."

"Maya, seriously, you need to stop getting in trouble. You can't act out like that just because you're angry. And you," Dad said and turned to Luke. "You lied to me. You made me worry about Maya when all that happened was that she overreacted!"

"I lied for her. I wanted her to have a nice birthday. I told her that we would tell you what really happened. I wasn't going to hide it for long. Don't be mad at her," Luke said.

"Maya, go to your room. I'll talk to you later."

"But, Dad-"

"Unless you have something else to tell me, go! Any other secrets I should know about?"

I looked at Uncle Cal, meeting his eyes for a moment. I shook my head and ran upstairs. My fingers were already finding Nick's contact name as I shut the door.

"Hello?"

"Nicky, I'm scared," I said, my voice shaky.

"What's wrong, babe?"

"I told my dad about what happened. He's mad," I said.

"Maya, it's okay. Nothing is going to happen. Just keep talking to me."

"Okay. Remember when we had our date? When you sang to me? Can you do that now?" I asked.

"Of course," he said and cleared his throat.

Do you remember the nights we stay up just laughing

Smiling for hours at anything

Remember the nights we drove around crazy in love

When the lights go out we'll be safe and sound

We'll take control of the world like its all we have to hold on to

And we'll be a dream

He finished the song, and I heard someone coming up the stairs. I hung up and shoved my phone under my pillow.

Dad walked in with his head down and his lips in a tight line. He sat next to me and put his arms around me. Mine hung loose at my side.

"I love you, Maya," he said, and I didn't say anything. "I know you're mad at me for saying you overreacted. You're not in trouble, I promise. Just talk to me, please."

"I'm sorry, Dad. I really am," I whispered.

"I know. Just don't do it again. There are other ways to solve problems that don't involve violence."

"Now you sound like Uncle Ash."

"I know. I see him too much," Dad chuckled. "Let's go downstairs and watch a movie."

I held my arms out. He pulled me up and led me downstairs. I sat down between him and Luke. Luke squeezed my hand gently

"Everything's okay," he said.

I relaxed and leaned my head on his shoulder. I fell asleep halfway through the movie, resting up for day two.