Chapter Five~ Hayden

CHAPTER FIVE~ HAYDEN.

I happily walk to my team's office, pushing thoughts of the Luke confrontation aside. Since it's the lunch break, Blake and Susan are also in there.

"Hey, Sweetie!" Susan greets me. In the building, I am the youngest and sometimes Susan likes to act like my mother, since my own lives so far away.

"What do you want for lunch?" Blake asks, while cleaning his glasses.

"Whatever you guys are getting. Guess what?" I say quickly and brightly.

They both look at each other knowingly.

Blake asks, "So who's the lucky fellow?"

"Oh he's- wait, what? No!" I slightly blush. "It's about Cole."

"Considering how happy you look, good news?" Susan asks hopefully.

"He's back!" I say.

"Back? As in back, back?" she excitedly.

"Yes! Back, back!" I reply.

"No more backs, ladies," Blake pleads. "Hayden, just tell us what happened."

"Okay! I um, walked in and he greeted me, then we started discussing The Bean Trees. It seems as though we have different opinions...and then was lunch. I sort of lost track of time. Thank goodness I didn't have a patient besides him that morning!" I explain.

"You lost track of time?" Susan says slyly.

"Susan! No, we spent most of the time arguing," I say.

"Arguing?"

"Well, debating. School stuff." I shrug.

"So how's he doing educationally?" she asks.

"He is... really smart. Fast learner, too," I say, frowning. "Have you guys been able to figure what the problem is?"

"Still working on it, but we're helping him, so he WILL get better," Blake informs me confidently.

I smile at him gratefully.

"Do you think we should go see him? Blake asks ecstatically.

"I think we should wait until our shift. He just talked plenty with Hayden. We don't want to stress him out or scare him," Susan says expertly. "But this is wonderful!"

Blake nods thoughtfully.

"So, lunch? I'll buy today," Susan offers.

"Yes! Where are you going?" he asks cheerfully.

"I'm thinking some Chinese takeout," she says thoughtfully. "Do you guys want that?"

"I'll have some Sesame Chicken and rice," he replies.

"Alright. And you, Hayden?" she asks.

"Um, Vegetable Lo Mein?" I answer.

Susan nods and walks out the door.

"Thank you!" Blake and I chorus. Susan gives us a thumbs up.

Blake and I decide to start a Chess match, but five minutes into it and he receives a phone call.

"It's my wife. She took the kids to visit their grandparents. I'm going to take this," he says.

I nod and wave him off. He heads outside and I start spinning around in my awesome chair. Three seconds later, and I am passed out, still smiling about the first conversation that Cole and I ever had.