Chapter Sixteen~ Timekeeper

CHAPTER SIXTEEN~ TIMEKEEPER. 

          She stares at me with worry in her eyes, and I have never felt anymore helpless.

          “We’ll find a way to get you home,” I promise her. Immediately, the crease between her eyebrows disappears, but the concern in her eyes remains.

          ‘Conscience#3, say something!’ I plead.

           ‘Speechless now, aren’t you?’ she replies, amused.

           ‘Distract her so I can find a way to get her home.’

          ‘Oh, so you do want her to leave?’

         ‘Of course! Can’t you see how scared she looks?’

         ‘I see it. I just didn’t think that you’d want her to leave.’

        ‘What do you mean by that?’

          ‘Oh, nothing.’

        “Guys,” Hayden says, clearing her throat. I realize that I had been staring above her head. Quickly, I drop my eyes so that they’re focused on her coffee colored ones. It’s a mesmerizing shade.

          “Sorry,” I immediately apologize.

         “It’s okay. I just want to know what’s going on.” She brushes a curl out of her eyes.

          “We’re working on it,” I assure her. “Is there any other thing you want to know about us?”

         I instantly regret my words. Earlier, it had been easy to distract her, with news on her friend, but now, we have nothing else to distract her from asking about Cole.

          She can’t know about Cole.

          First of all, Hayden knowing about Cole being her soul mate would complicate things. Second, I can’t see their future. I don’t want her to know about the solid black wall I face every time I try to see it. And I know she will ask about his past, something I will not be able to tell her either.

          I don’t want to disappoint her.

          “There is something else I want to know,” she says thoughtfully. I look at her curiously, but cautiously.

          “Yes?” I say.

          “Soul mates are supposed to be together right?” she states.

         “Yes,” Conscience#3 answers.

         “So what if they can’t?”

         “What do you mean?” Conscience#3 asks, tilting her head.

          “What if… it was against the law? What if society won’t let them be together? Have you guys ever dealt with a forbidden love situation?” Hayden looks at us with an excited, dreamy look in her eye.

           “You are… quite the romantic,” I say weakly.

           She smiles at me. “So have you?”

           I look at Conscience#3. Even she looks uncomfortable, suddenly as frozen as I.

           “What’s wrong?” Hayden says in alarm. “Hey, both of your faces just got really pale. Did I say something wrong?”