Chapter Twelve~ Timekeeper

CHAPTER TWELVE~ TIMEKEEPER.

“Let me walk you out,” the lady purrs and I sigh in relief.

She and the Interceptor walks out of the building and into the parking lot.

“So what do you do for a living?” she asks, fluttering her eyelashes.

Conscience#3, distraction.’ I order telepathically.

On it.’

“I’m a doctor,” says Interceptor charmingly. “A neurosurgeon actually.”

“Really?” the lady says, exaggerating her features to look impress. “So what is someone like you doing at a place like th-”

“Wendy!”

They both turn around to see another man standing on the other side of the lot.

“I need to talk to you,” he exclaims, waving her over.

She looks at him suspiciously.

“Do I know yo- oh!”

The man races over, literally sweeps the lady off her feet, and starts to kiss her. Interceptor makes his quiet escape.

He and Conscience#3 arrives back to the Center, where I am just beginning to open my eyes, all traces of the immense chest pain gone.

“Thank you,” I breathe.

“I don’t like that lady!” Conscience#3 declares. “She was desperate and I hardly had to brainwash her.”

“What can I say? I’m a chick magnet,” Interceptor says teasingly.

“Disgusting,” she scowls, plopping onto the couch. Interceptor sits down next to her and frowns.

“I was kidding,” he says. “Smile.”

Conscience#3 turns her head away from him stubbornly, but her cheerful attitude doesn’t let her stay down for long. She gives a dramatic sigh, before turning back towards the Interceptor and giving him a bright smile. He gives her a goofy grin back.

Matetracker leans on the back of the couch and pats both of their backs endearingly, before looking at me, concerned.

“What happened, Timekeeper?” she asks softly.

I grimace. I had been hoping to avoid that subject. Finally, I admit,

“I don’t know.”

“One minute we were talking, then another, he just collapsed,” the Interceptor tells the ladies.

Matetracker frowns.

“Where did the pain start?” she asks.

“Here,” I say, pointing to my chest. “I’m not sure if the pain just got stronger or what, but it started hurting everywhere, especially here and my head.”

“That’s where your heart is,” Conscience#3 notes, tilting her head.

“If I had a heart,” I correct her matter-of-factly.

“Don’t be ridiculous, of course you have a heart,” Matetracker scolds.

I shrug, with no energy to argue.

“Go over exactly everything that happened,” she demands.

I take a deep breath and start explaining,

“Interceptor and I were just talking, when I heard a voice in my head. Though it was more of an echo. Everything started hurting. Then somehow, I got thrown into the tunnel and everything was black. Suddenly, a vision started forming. It was in first person, and I saw Cole, so I’m assuming that I was looking through Hayden’s eyes.