Chapter Nineteen~ Hayden

CHAPTER NINETEEN~ HAYDEN

                 I give Melissa a big hug before releasing her to her friends. Then, humming under my breath, I begin my walk to Room 17.

                 “It’s me,” I call out, knocking on the door, before letting myself in hesitantly.

                 “Hayden.” Cole looks up- with bright blue eyes- and smiles at me before returning to the book in his hand.

                 “Hey,” I say in relief, dropping my bag on the table and sitting down on the chair across from his.

                 “How have you been?” Cole asks while his eyes roam around the pages.

                  “Good enough,” I say conversationally. “My friend, Olivia, is having a wedding soon.”

                  “Cool, when is it?” he asks.

                  “Eight months.”

                   Cole looks up at me. “That’s ‘soon’?”

                   “According to her, it is,” I wryly. “She’s a perfectionist, who’s not really into letting anyone help her with the wedding, including her fiancé.”

                    “I see,” he chuckles, closing his book and putting it on the table. “So are you going to be a bridesmaid?”

                    “Maid of Honor,” I grin.

                    “Ah. What have you got planned for the bachelorette party?” He raises his eyebrows.

                    “Oh, you know. I’ve been thinking about hiring a stripper,” I say casually.

                    “Hm.”

                    I let out a giggle. “We’ll see,” I say.

                   “So other than wedding plans, how’s your day been?” Cole asks, leaning back against his chair and stretching.

                    “Pretty good. I was just with Melissa. She’s wonderful.” A proud smile slides on my face. “And strong. She doesn’t let silly things bring her down. And Ethan, he’s adjusting really fast. They’re both very mature for their age.”

                    Cole listens to me talk, a faint smile on his lips.

                    “You really love doing what you do,” he observes.

                    “Yeah,” I say. “You get this warm, fuzzy feeling, after helping someone out. I love teaching.  I feel like I’m making a big difference in their lives.”

                    “You are,” Cole says “And in mine, too.”

                     We grin at each other. I can feel a blush rising on my face.

                    “So how was your day?” I say, breaking our eye contact. I look down and start busying myself with the textbooks on the table, stacking them up.

                    “Good. I spent most of the morning outside with Blake. Hey, do you think he’s ever frowned before?” Cole asks curiously.