One

CLANDESTINE

adjective

Kept secret or done secretively, especially because illicit

(Oxford Dictionary)

"Megan," Coulson said. "We have an assignment for you. Can you meet us at Avengers HQ?"

"Is this a S.H.I.E.L.D. assignment, sir? Or a personal assignment." Megan asked.

"Personal. If you agree, you'll be undercover. Medium to long term. In Asgard."

"In where?"

"Asgard. I'll brief you when you get here. You're free to turn it down if you don't agree to the terms."

"I guess I'll see you in the morning then. I'll get on the first flight out of New York."

"No need. I'll pick you up in a couple of hours. From the roof. Be ready at four."

"Of course you will." Megan rolled her eyes. No doubt about him, he always landed on his feet.

She packed all of her belongings from the small apartment into a large duffle bag and went to the full length mirror in the bedroom to check her appearance.

Megan was tall, almost 5'8", and had been targeted by the S.H.I.E.L.D ops academy for her athletic abilities and high IQ. Her thick hair fell down her back, a couple of inches above her waist. Indoors it could almost be mistaken for black, only in the light was the warm colour revealed, like the darkest tempered chocolate. She swept it back into a ponytail and applied some light makeup, accentuating her bright green eyes.

Just before she locked the door Megan picked up her phone and keys, and the S.H.I.E.L.D. badge she wasn't quite ready to part with. She looked over the ID inside, the photograph that was almost seven years old, the service number. Agent Megan Beckett. The 'Agent' was such a part of her identity that she had struggled since the collapse of S.H.I.E.L.D., she couldn't figure out where she would fit into the world, and Coulson's short assignments had provided a welcome distraction.

***************************************************************************************

"I know this is a little... weirder-than-your-average-weird, Megan. But I think it's right up your alley. And you said you were bored." Coulson smiled. "Allow me to introduce Fandral. One of the warriors three, an ally of Thor."

The man seated across the coffee table stood up and took Megan's hand, kissing her knuckles and bowing. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Agent Beckett."

"Oh, Megan, please. I'm not really an agent of anything anymore. What can I do for you?"

"Thor came to us for help, given we have a little more experience in undercover surveillance. You'll be keeping an eye on Loki, gaining his trust and confidence, and posing as his handmaiden."

Megan laughed loudly. "Because I look like the type- oh my gods you're serious. I mean, I'm good, but I'm no match for Loki. You can't really think this is a good idea."

"You've proven yourself before against his type before, being able to see through illusions and mind control."

"Phil, that was a fluke. It was inconsistent. Knowing someone is trying to screw with your mind and actually blocking it are very different things."

"I can assure you, our servants are very well taken care of. And you'll be under my protection." Fandral said. "We have a way to travel between realms now and can get you back here without alerting him if need be."