Twenty

As Megan approached the spot Loki had talked about she saw it surrounded in a familiar green shimmer. He had made it exactly as it had been in her dreams, with the gentle flow of the water and the sunlight filtering through the tree, a green blanket on the cold grass. She even thought it was warmer than usual, just in that spot. Loki was wearing his formal clothing and armor, something she hadn't seen in a couple of weeks. He had settled more into his role now, realising that when the people of Asgard had begun to respect him and trust him he no longer needed to look intimidating. She did like it though, perhaps a bit much for a picnic but beautiful all the same, the green and gold giving him a definite air that he didn't always have when she was around. Loki's face lit up when he looked up at Megan, dressed in her deep green gown as he had requested, with a gold chain around her neck and her thick silk cloak he had given her. She suddenly realised they probably looked quite a pair, anywhere but Asgard they would have got some interesting attention.

"Oh my darling, you would look beautiful in nothing but a pillow slip, but the way that dress brings out the green in your eyes is truly magic. The training with the warriors is certainly doing something for you, you're positively radiant the last couple of weeks."

"Thank you, my love. You're looking particularly dashing yourself this afternoon. And the illusion? Breathtaking even if I know it's magic. What's the occasion?"

"Do I need one?" He asked as Megan sat gracefully between his bent legs. He handed her a glass of wine and leaned back against the tree.

"You forget I can see your mind, Loki. I may not be able to read you completely, nor am I trying at this moment, but you're up to something."

He sighed and put down his glass, putting his hands up in surrender. "OK you've got me."

When she had taken a sip he took her glass and put it next to Megan's, taking her hands in his and looking into her eyes.

"My beautiful, sweet, Megan. I have always, as long as I can remember, wanted to do better. To be better. And I always felt held back, and pushed back, like I was meant for something other than good. I fought it for so long, but then after I discovered my... I lost the motivation to fight. I wanted to world to suffer along with me, to inflict my pain on every one and every thing. When I hurt you, something inside me was broken, as though the connection I had built to my own dark world had been irreparably torn down, shattered into tiny pieces. For the first time I felt remorse for my actions, I knew I had to learn from them, that it was the key to being a good king, to being better. And I'm not there yet, but I am trying, and I am fighting, and that is because of you. You have given me the motivation to be a successful king, and a worthy and deserving husband, as I see now my father was. A deserving husband to you, Megan. If you will have me."

Megan stared into his blue eyes in stunned silence. She saw unshed tears glistening in them, and felt the same in her own, but she felt frozen and unable to form words.

"Would you do me the honour of being my queen? My wife? If you deem me worthy?"

The best she could manage was a nod, an emphatic one at least.

"Yes, Loki." She managed after an eternity. "The honour... would be mine."

Tears spilled down Loki's cheeks and Megan swiped them away, kissing him softly. He held her left hand out in his and slid something cold on to it. "I believe the tradition in your world is a diamond ring. Personally I find diamonds a bit... Boring. Remember you said once you kept your thoughts from me like a clear glass of water? That's what diamonds remind me of. So unless you insist, I much prefer this."

Megan looked down and saw a gold ring on her finger, set with emeralds like she had never seen. They were a bright sparkling green that reflected the light all around them both. "It's perfect." Megan said quietly. "Just perfect. I love you, Loki."

"I love you, Megan."

************************************************************************************

As the engagement celebration died down that evening they returned to Loki's chambers. "Did today actually happen, or did I dream it?" Megan asked, yawning.

"It actually happened, love. I can not wait for you to be mine."

"I'm already yours."

"To be the queen of Asgard, then." He smiled.

Late that night, naked in his arms, Megan reached her mind out to Loki's. With regular practice she could now get an idea what he was feeling and thinking by looking at his whole mind, seeing what the dominant colours were in his kaleidoscope of emotions. Right now she saw mostly pink, with the occasional pale blue, and she chuckled against his chest. Apparently afterglow was a real thing for gods, too.

"Are you poking around in my head and laughing?"

"Yes. It's very pretty today." Megan groaned and snuggled into his chest, listening to his heart beat evenly. "I have to go back tomorrow, Grace was asking Thor about me. I promised she could check me over before I left."

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"No, probably safer for you if you stay here."

***********************************************************************

"You're what?" Grace said incredulously, staring at the ring on Megan's finger. "Seriously?"

"Yes. I can hardly believe it myself. But we're getting married."

"Well congratulations!"

"Thank you. So what am I in for today?"

"I want to check over your injuries from before, check your brain and just give you a general checkup."

"Sounds like fun." Megan said.

She counted down the day not by hours or minutes but by blood draws, scans, machines and tests. Grace in her infinite curiosity about Megan's telepathic abilities had thrown in some extra tests on her brain, and by the end of the day she felt like she might just have a nap on the couch in Grace's office. She had just closed her eyes when she heard Grace come in and close the door.

"You're recovered, fit and healthy. And to my disappointment there was nothing abnormal about your brain."

Megan laughed. "So I can go?"

"Shortly. You said you were on the depo shot for contraception?"

"Yes,"

"Are you due for a shot? Because I'm not sure they have those in Asgard."

"Er," Megan tried to calculate mentally. She'd had the last one just after the end of S.H.I.E.L.D. at a local doctor. "Oh dear. Can you give me one now?"

"How long since you had one?"

"A bit over five months."

"Last period?"

"Uhm... after I came back from Asgard? Before I went back. While I was here. It was a bit late and I guessed it was from the trauma."

"So you could be-"

"I'm not pregnant, Grace."

"Either way I have to do a test before I can give you the shot."

"Go for it. Wouldn't it have shown up in the millions of tests you already did?"

"No, I wasn't looking for it. I figured if you'd had unprotected sex you'd tell me." Grace gave her a look that made her feel like a teenager in the principal's office, so Megan decided to be mature and poke her tongue at her while the collection needle was jabbed in to her arm.

"Is that even possible? He's not human!"

"I don't know. Thor might, perhaps you should ask? Otherwise I'll see what I can find out. He's Jotun, right?"

Grace said on her way out the door with Megan's blood. Megan nodded and put her head back and closed her eyes.