Chapter 18

Hey,
Thanks for reading!
Despite the fact that I have two other stories and I am about to return to school on Monday, I promise to update at least once a week. But the work load will be quite a lot, along with revision, so I won't be able to update more than that.
Please vote and comment.
Enjoy,
Annabelle_the_reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Oh, finally.' Peter murmured, approaching her with a vivid grin. 'You've decided to amble out of the water, have you? Took long enough.'

'Oh really?' Snow replied bordely, trying to cover up that he couldn't be more right. She had delayed exiting the water, but only because that delayed and shortened my day with Peter. After about half an hour of just floating, Snow realised she best just get it over with. 'Did you know that sarcasm means to tear flesh in Greek? You just ripped me apart.'

Peter laughed with her, amused by my random knowledge of unnecessary and generally unusable facts. 'What about that date now?' Pan mused.

~

The night was full of clouds, but rain was not approaching and all traces of wind had vanished, leaving a still, bleak night sky. There was a beautiful crescent moon and stars blinking through the blanket of darkness.

And Snow was beneath them. Her legs swung against the wooden, jagged branches of the tree, occasionally stinging with the friction. It didn't bother her, as from that height she could see for miles across the ocean. Snow was sat, or rather balanced, on the top of Peter's favourite tree that overlooked the forests,of the land.

Snow had always loved the stars. She remembered watching them from her bedroom balcony, standing in the blissful silence.

The stars, Snow naively believed, were magical. They were so big and one's troubles so small that when she was with them she couldn't help but feel awe. Not one star could shine without the dark. No matter how big and evil the world seems, no one can shine without it.

Snow stared up at the clouds and the sky and the stars. Whenever she had a spare moment at home, she would count the stars until she fell asleep gazing at them. She used to pretend that they were the people she missed that evening: her sister, her mother, her father. But Snow knew that she mustn't spend too much time counting the stars, or she would loose sight of the moon, and thus she would loose Peter.

'Your not afraid of the dark?' Came a husky voice behind her, sending small shivers down her spine. Peter's question dragged her from her daydreams as he glided onto the branch beside her. Snow shifted her small weight slightly, allowing more distance between them. Her eyes glanced over at him and at his annoyingly gorgeous body.

'Absolutely not, because the stars can only shine when there is the dark.' Snow reminded him and he chuckled. It wasn't a happy or amused chuckle, but a saddened and grieving chuckle, like he knew exactly what she meant. Snow almost forgot that Peter was one of the Gone, the first person to be brave and cowardly enough to give up what was troubling him and run away.

'C'mon, I've got something to show you.' He said gliding off the seat and leading the way through the trees.

Eventually they arrived outside a clearing in the wood, with candles perched on trees to light their way into the clearing.

'Wow.' Snow whispered, his effort taking bed breath away so easily. It was late at night, the only natural source of light being the crescent moon Snow could see between the gaps in the leaves of the jade forest canopy.

A spectacular silence overhung the ground where the trees dared not grow. Nothing stirred, nothing shone, nothing sang.

Then a finger of kaleidoscopic light poked through the misty mesh. It was followed by a whole loom of multi-coloured light, filtering down in seams of every colour of the rainbow. It chased the shadows, banished the gloom and spilled into spaces where the mist once stalked. My eyes gazing at the ribbon of light, I realised they were more candles, but this time they were placed in opaline glass jars of many different colours.