Twenty One. Tally It Up, Settle The Score

I hope you remember the last time we tried from the start,

You took things I needed, you took me apart.

Vic's brother is looking for him? Why would he be looking for him? I thought they didn't like each other, or they weren't in contact with each other anymore. And why is he a danger to us? All these questions are buzzing round in my head like bees.

"Your brother?" I frown, trying to keep up with Vic's fast walking. "But I thought you said he was cut out of your life?"

"Well," snaps Vic. "I guess he didn't cut me out of his."

"But why is he looking for you?" I ask. "And why is he dangerous?"

"Kellin, all that matters to me is getting you and I both home. So just stop with the questions, okay?"

His answer irritates me, and I blink to keep my eyes from turning red. I just shut up and follow Vic.

Eventually Vic decides to take us down a shortcut and we end up in a dark winding alleyway that seems to last forever.

"I'm taking you to my house, okay?" Vic says seriously. "I can't risk leaving you on your own, knowing that Mike's around."

We turn a sharp corner which reaches the end of the alleyway and find ourselves face to face with a man.

"Well," the man says loudly. "Look who we have here."

Vic freezes and takes my hand. I take a look at the man in front of us. He's taller than us, and he's quite thin. His arms, neck and chest are all covered in big, bold tattoos. He's wearing a black beanie and tickling his shoulders is dark hair. Between his top lip and his nose is a silver stud, and a lip ring sits on his bottom lip. He's wearing a black "Rebel Eight" tank top with black jeans and black shoes.

I'm guessing this is Mike Fuentes.

"Hello big brother," Mike says, right up in Vic's face.

"Mike," Vic says quietly, not daring to look into his brother's eyes.

Mike towers over me and looks me up and down.

"Got yourself a boyfriend, brother?" says Mike. He leans over to look me straight in the eyes. "Who are you?"

"K-Kellin," I say nervously.

Vic's grip on my hand tightens.

"Well hi, Kellin," Mike says, just inches away from my face. "Are you Vic's boyfriend?"

"Yeah, he is," Vic says confidently before I even open my mouth to speak.

Mike turns to Vic. "I thought as much," he says. "You were always a little queer, weren't you, big brother?"

"Why are you here?" asks Vic.

"Why am I here?" scoffs Mike. "Why do you think I'm here, Victor?"

"It's Vic," Vic snaps.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Mike says sarcastically. "I forgot you always hated Victor."

"I can't give it back to you," says Vic.

I look at Vic. Give what back?

"Thank you, Mr. Obvious," snaps Mike, giving Vic a sarcastic round of applause.

I'm confused. Give what back?!

"That's not why I'm here," Mike continues.

"Then what do you want from me?" frowns Vic. "What's done is done."

Mike laughs, then leans down so his face is about a centimetre away from Vic's.

"That's so easy for you to say," Mike hisses menacingly. "You haven't had to live with it for fourteen years. But I'm interested in getting something else I want. Vengeance, brother. I want vengeance."

Mike takes a few steps back.

"Vic, what is he talking about?" I whisper in his ear. "Give what back?"

"Oh, you don't know?" Mike says to me. "Well, of course you don't know."

"Mike, don't," Vic says aggressively.

"You see this man?" Mike looks at me and points to Vic. "He is not what you think he is. You might think he's a sweet innocent therapist, but you don't know about the monster inside."

That sounds a lot like me.

Vic is getting angrier by the second, I can tell - he's heavy breathing and glaring at Mike. This is the angriest I've ever seen him.

"And you see this leg?" Mike asks me. He starts rolling up one of his jean legs to reveal a prosthetic leg underneath. "I've had this fake one for fourteen years. You know why?" Mike points to Vic. "Because he ripped my real one off."

My jaw drops and I stare at Vic. He looks ashamed of himself, but also very angry at the same time. He ripped his brother's leg off?! How? Why? What happened?

"I'd been playing drums for years before that happened," Mike continues. "It was my favourite thing to do. But I gave it up, because your little boyfriend tore my leg off. Not so perfect now, is he, Kellin?"

Vic lets go of my hand and clenches his fists. He has his eyes closed now.

"I guess you're probably wondering why the hell an eighteen-year-old guy would rip his sixteen-year-old brother's leg off," Mike says bitterly.

"Don't...you...dare," Vic hisses, still with his eyes closed. He sounds so ominous.

"Well, like I said, you haven't seen the monster that Vic Fuentes truly is."

"STOP!" bellows Vic, opening his eyes.

His eyes are yellow and glowing. Why are his eyes yellow?! This is freaking me out.

Without any warning, Mike grabs Vic and throws him to the end of the alleyway, into the moon's light. Vic screams and looks as though he's in awful pain.

"This is the best part," Mike grins. "Oh, it's a full moon tonight, isn't it?"

I watch in horror as Vic...changes. First brown hair starts to spread around his whole body. He grows and grows and grows until he's huge. Then his hands and feet turn to paws...

And standing in the pale light of the moon is the man I love.

A wolf.