Twenty Six. King For A Day

Imagine living like a king someday,

A single night without a ghost in the walls,

We are the shadows screaming take us now,

We'd rather die than live to rust on the ground.

~

My name is Jaime Preciado, and I am a writer.

I live in an apartment in San Diego, which I share with my best friend Tony Perry. We've both recently moved in here, and it's a very nice place. On our first full day here, we decided to go out for lunch. After the meal we took a walk round the town, and we noticed a huge crowd of people in an alleyway, all panicking and looking shocked, and some people were crying. One guy was puking by the side of a building.

"What's going on?" frowned Tony.

"No idea," I said. "Let's check it out."

So we started weaving through the swarm of people.

"It's horrible," one woman said to her husband. "What happened?!"

"Don't look, son," one guy said to his son, turning him away.

"Why?" asked the son, trying to look. "What is it?"

At last, Tony and I reached the front of the crowd. And what we saw took our breath away.

Two men - or should I say, the remains of two men - were lying on the ground next to each other. One of them had black hair that reached his shoulders and was swept across his forehead. The other had brown hair that reached his chest and was wearing a wooden necklace. They were completely drenched in blood, and I mean drenched. There wasn't a single spot on either of them that wasn't bloody. Their clothes were torn and soaked, exposing huge gashes and cuts with blood gushing out of them.

"Oh god," Tony cried, turning away. He looked really pale.

The two men had their arms outstretched, their hands almost touching, like a happy couple lying in a field. Maybe they were in love? As a writer, I like to use my imagination and conjure up a story from anything I see. My story for these two men was that they were in love, but they ended up in a fight because, despite their connection, they were polar opposites. Eventually they decided that what they were doing was wrong, and they'd rather die than live without the other. So, in this alleyway, they killed themselves. I don't know how, or with what. It looks like there are teeth marks in their skin. What would do that?

They were taken to hospital, but it was pointless. They were never going to be saved - they were already dead. Soon the black-haired man was identified as Kellin Quinn Bostwick, the killer of Katelynne Fuentes. Everyone was talking about it.

"It's good that he died," I heard one woman say. "Disgusting bastard."

Hearing that made me furious. Saying it's good that someone died is inhuman. It makes you the disgusting one. How could you look at yourself in the mirror after saying that? How could you sleep at night? Yes, Kellin Bostwick was a murderer, but you're just as bad if you wish people dead.

The brown-haired one with the wooden necklace was identified shortly after by a young guy named Nate Green, who told the town that it was Victor Fuentes, his therapist. Hearing that he was a therapist made me rethink my story; a therapist wouldn't kill himself.  But then I thought, why not? A person shouldn't just assume things. As a wise writer once said, "You never really understand a person  until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it".

Ever since we saw them, I haven't stopped thinking of those men. What happened to them? How did they get to be lying in that alleyway covered in injuries? Did they kill themselves? Did they kill each other? Did something or someone else kill them? And more importantly, are they together now? Fuck the fact that one of them was a murderer - they deserve to be together, after the awful deaths they faced.

There's something that intrigues me about the couple. The way they loved each other until their deaths and beyond...I hope I have that one day. It's bittersweet - tragic but moving. In fact, it inspired me to write a song.

In bed I got out my notebook and started to write the song. I don't really know where the lyrics came from; I just got writing and kept going. It ended up filling a whole page. After I'd written it, I needed to name it. So I thought to myself...

I believe that when you die, you leave behind everything from your life. You go from the bottom to the top. So when you die, you're royalty, even if it doesn't last long. My thinking probably makes no sense to anyone else, but no one's ever going to see this song, so it doesn't matter.

The song is called 'King For A Day', and it's dedicated to Kellin Bostwick and Victor Fuentes: two kings in heaven.

The End