Seventeen. Fire

You made up your mind,

Right before the sound could move softly from your lips,

You leave behind,

A choice which once before you thought you could not resist.

KELLIN'S POV

I'm sitting alone on a park bench near the bar Vic and I kissed outside. I need to forget about him - he was a waste of my time. It's dark and it's cold and I'm tired, but I just wanted some alone time to think, so I came here.

"Hi," says a voice.

I turn my head and see Vic sitting down next to me on the bench. God dammit.

I ignore his "hi" and look away.

"You, uh, didn't make an appointment this week," he says.

"Oh," I say with obvious apathy.

Pause.

"Wh-why didn't you make one?" asks Vic.

"Why?" I snap. "Do you actually want to see me now?"

Vic sighs. "Kellin, I'm sorry. I wasn't drunk, and that kiss did mean something. It kills me to know that you don't want to see me but it kills me even more to know that you think I never liked you."

He nervously takes my hand. I flinch but still don't look at him.

"I did like you," he tells me sincerely. "I still do. I just wanted to stay strictly professional - but if strictly professional means that I can't be with you, forget it."

My heart flutters. He does like me - I feel a rush of relief and finally look at him.

"You like me back?" I ask. I sound kinda sheepish.

"Yes," he says.

We stare into each other's eyes for a moment and then find ourselves kissing again. I feel that flame we had grow to a fire. The kiss lasts a while and I never want it to stop, but eventually it does. When our lips part, we exchange a smile and I rest my head on his shoulder. He settles his arm around my shoulders and kisses my forehead.

"I'll make an appointment," I say quietly, closing my eyes.

I can feel his heart beating in his chest. After a while his heartbeats slow down. He's calm with me, and I'm calm with him.

The last thing I hear before I drift off to sleep is Vic whispering: "I wish I could tell you."