Twenty Five. Hell Above

Take the face of the wolf,

Cause this is a wasteland, my only retreat,

With heaven above you there's hell over me.

VIC'S POV

"Mom, did Dad die in a Bout?"

Mom looks at me sadly. "No honey, we had the last Bout two years ago, when the vampire parents died."

"Why did they have to die?"

Mom leans over and places a hand on my shoulder.

"They were bad people, Victor," she says. "You can't trust vampires. But the worst of all is a werewolf being in love with a vampire. Promise me you'll never love a vampire."

I frown. "But...but how will I know if the person I love is a vampire or not?"

Mom takes her hand away from my shoulder and sighs.

"You won't," she tells me. "But you're a smart kid, Vic. You'll figure it out."

Suddenly a question pops into my head. "Mom, will I go to heaven or hell?"

Mom looks a bit taken-a-back by my question. "Why are you asking that?"

"Because I want to be good," I reply. "I want my life to mean something."

"Victor, one day you'll be in love. There's no denying it - everyone falls in love at some point in their lives. Someone will look at you and think, this man has made my life complete. And when you eventually pass on, that person will be thankful that you lived, because your life made theirs so much better. And whether you go to heaven or hell, you'll definitely see that person again."

"But where will I go? Heaven or hell?"

Mom smiles. "Wherever the wind takes you."

I look over at Kellin. He has his eyes closed. Is he breathing? He might be - but he might not. I'm content either way. He was a very troubled man, and so was I, so we joined together and eradicated each other's troubles in a beautiful, broken sort of way. We were never meant to be together. A vampire and a werewolf? It defies what's right; it defies nature. But lying here, watching him sleeping peacefully, I know that what's right doesn't matter when you find the right person for you.

I've disobeyed Mom. She didn't want me to love a vampire. But I hope that she can see how much I love Kellin, and I hope she's smiling down on me. I'm sorry I wasn't the man you wanted me to be, Mom, but I hope you can understand that all I've done in my life is make my own choices and follow my heart.

Mike, I'm sorry that I hurt you. I truly am. If I hadn't ripped your leg off all those years ago, you wouldn't have come looking for me, I wouldn't have transformed tonight, and Kellin and I would still be alive. I was just blinded by anger when you thought I was too ruthless to do what I wanted.

And Katelynne...I miss you. I know Kellin misses you too. He's sorry for what he did to you. And I'm sorry that had to happen to you.

I'm sorry for so many things.

I don't know what's going to happen now. I know that Kellin and I are both blowing in the same wind, but I've done so much wrong. Kellin doesn't deserve anything bad to come to him. Maybe he'll go in a different direction to me, and go to heaven, while I go to hell. Maybe we'll be separated forever. Or maybe we'll both go to the same place and live together for all eternity. This world hasn't been kind to him - he'll be in a better place, wherever he goes. And as for me? Maybe I'll just end up floating in the wind. Maybe I'll be a lost soul, trying to find it's place. As much as I wish I did, I know I don't deserve the happy place that Kellin will go to. But all that matters is that he'll be fine.

I look over at him for the last time. Wherever the wind takes you, Kellin.