As If One Wasn't Bad Enough (3)

Here's the next installment... I have nothing really to say... Except... Enjoy!

That-a-way is Duke -------------------------------->

Cara

Currently, I was seated at my lunch table with my best friend for the past infinite years, Melinda Hepburn. She and I met through camp when we were younger. She had gotten a scrape and I was the girl to offer her a Winnie the Pooh bandage.

The others around us were some friends that Mel had accumulated over the high school years. Melinda, though not exactly considered popular and stuck up by any means, was easy to get along with and made friends quickly.

The only one of her friend that I talk to was Jonah Richter. He was quite short for his age, and appeared 12 rather than 17. However, he made up his lack of height with plenty of charm.

He was constantly hitting on me, but it was all for good fun.

Jonah was actually a human, but his stepdad was a werewolf so he knew all about it. There were only a few humans that knew of our existence at the school. Even though there were 10 percent of humans that are enrolled her, there may have only been less than 5 percent of them that knew they coed with us.

“Lunch swap?” Jonah asked, looking at Mel.

Melinda peered in her brown paper bag, made a face, and then pushed it across the table at Jonah, who in return, did the same.

“What’s the verdict?” I asked, biting into my school bought turkey sub.

“Hm, turkey on wheat with mustard. A bag of sour cream and onion potato chips, and bottle of water,” Melinda said, taking a bite of her newly switched sandwich.

“Ham, swiss, mayo on white bread. Pretzels and diet Coke,” Jonah said, sipping the diet Coke.

I smiled.

They did these lunch swaps every day. It seemed that Mel’s mom, who still packs her lunches, favors the taste bud of Jonah while Jonah’s little sister Terry, who packs her brother’s lunch for 2 dollars, pleases Mel.

I sometimes wonder why they don’t just tell their lunch packers what they actually like, but it’s amusing to watch.

“So that was nice of Duke,” Mel said, wagging her eyebrows. She was the first person I told of my one-sided crush, naturally.

“What about Duke?” Jonah asked, his mouth full of food.

I shrugged. “He just let me borrow money.”

I placed the change on table.

Jonah raised his eyebrows.

“Duke Weston let you borrow money from him?” a girl with pig tails and a pushed back nose asked, looking disdainfully at me.

“Yeah,” I said.

“What’s wrong with that, Karen?” Mel asked.

“Nothing,” the girl mumbled and turned away.

“So what wrong with Duke lending you money?” Jonah asked.

“Do you have to ask?” Mel questioned.

I elbowed her in the side, trying to remind her that Jonah didn’t know of this.

“I don’t get it,” Jonah said, cocking his head to the side.

Thank the heavens that Jonah was a bit clueless to some things.

“Who’s trashy today?” Mel asked, looking between us.