Chapter 48: The New Neverland

"You know that place between sleep and awake, that place where you still remember dreaming? That's where I'll always love you. That's where I'll be waiting." - Peter Pan (by J.M Barrie)

OMNISCIENT POV:

Peter pressed his lips to Lilith's in a moment of pure spontaneity.

The only other girl who he had ever kissed was Wendy, but even then it wasn't by his doing. She had forced her lips upon him, and though he was unsuspecting, it did something marvellous to him. He felt like all the energy from the universe was pressed into that small kiss, and it burned through him like a thousand stars. It was revitalizing, and in all honesty it saved Peter's life. Without that kiss, he would have fallen victim to Hook, but then it happened.

And that was part of the reason he so impulsively kissed Lilith now. He hoped that somehow this kiss would fill her with the same spark of life that it did him, and in turn this would wake her up. But it wasn't the only reason.

Peter wanted to kiss her. He wanted to hold her, and see her smiling again. He missed her laugh, and her courage, and her presence. Peter felt something for Lilith that he had never experienced before. Perhaps he had felt small inklings of it in the past. Perhaps he had given small pieces of it to Wendy, and Jane -- but now he gave it wholeheartedly to Lilith.

Love.

Peter loved Lilith, and this kiss finally helped him show it in a way he could never say.

Gently, he removed his lips from hers, and stared at her face. He didn't know what he really expected to happen. Her eyelids fluttering open, a gasp of air, a twitch of her finger -- just something. But as Peter stood there watching her, he knew it was pointless. Lilith's fight was over, and he would honor her in the only way he knew how -- by telling stories of her.

You see, a person is forever immortalized in a story. So even if Peter never saw Lilith again, she would always be alive in his stories. He would fill them up with her bravery, and her wit, and her beauty; and he would make absolutely certain that every person who ever spoke her name did so with immense praise, as she deserved.

Peter wiped the tears from his cheeks and walked out of the door. As it shut behind him, he leaned his back against it. Alina and Tinkerbell came zooming across the corner and stopped in front of him.

"Anything?" Alina anxiously asked.

Peter solemnly shook his head, not saying a word. Almost immediately he heard the broken sob of Alina, who had desperately been hoping that Peter would truly be able to fix this. Seeing him shake his head was an indescribable disappointment to her. Tinkerbell, toning down her usual attitude, put a hand on Alina's back to console her. This resulted in Alina throwing her head onto Tink's shoulder as she cried.

Peter couldn't bare to watch. He viciously rubbed his hands over his face and then through his hair. Screaming felt like the best way to release all these bottled up emotions inside of him, but there was something left to do before he handled himself.

He had to tell the Lost Boys.

They were gathered around the base of the tree house, some pacing back and forth, as they waited for Peter and, they hoped, Lilith.

Over the period of time that Lilith had been on Neverland, she'd come to discover a unique relationship with each Lost Boy. They were all like a big, happy, family. They had fun being children. Going hunting, beach combing for Lost Things and Lilith explaining the usage for each, even playing simple games like hide and seek. Anything they did together was always a good time.

The Darlings had also become well acquainted with all things Neverland. Wendi spent most of her time with Prince Elliot Rootith over in the Piccaninny camp, and so did Jonathan for that matter. While Wendi was busy flirting with Elliot Rootith, Jonathan took the time to learn how to hunt -- and quite skillfully. Some of the other tribe members taught him to carve his own bow and arrow, while others taught him to shoot it. It was a sport he thoroughly enjoyed.