An old friend?

As I lay on the couch wondering why Sam didn't answer... I think about the time before this. All of this. The love, the pain, the heartbreak, the hope. I had the perfect life in the palm of my hand and I let if slip through my fingers. I've been so carefree with my life I didn't realize what I had... And more importantly what it would be without it.

-------

Crushed.

That's the place I always used to go with my high school friends to get smoothies, or go on dates, or make out in the corners. I smile remembering all these things. Slowly I get up off the couch, head back up the stairs, and into my bedroom. I pull the hair tie from my hair letting it fall in beach waves down my back. I open my closet to reveal all my clothes. I grab my 'Hollister' shorts that my mom sent me for my birthday last year, and a 'Ridge Academy' sweatshirt that was pink with black writing. I slip into the bathroom and examine my makeupless face. I open the cabinet under the sink and pull out my blue polka doted makeup bag. I apply a thick layer of mascara then some tan eyeshadow and replace the makeup back in the bag. I walk down the stairs and slip my feet into my black TOMS.

------

Wow. The place looks exactly the same. I think as I pull into the parking lot of 'Crushed'. I remove the key from the dashboard and open the door to my hummer. It's a beautiful day today, I think as I walk up the sidewalk to the entrance.

Just before I'm about to open the door, I get a tap on the shoulder. I turn around and smile at the familiar face looking back at me. Its Ethan.

Ethan was my boyfriend In high school.

"Audrey! You look good! I haven't seen you In forever!" He said opening his arms for a hug.

"Ethan! You look great too!" I reply accepting his hug. He smiles and opens the door for me.

"Mind if I get you a smoothie like old times?" He laughs

"I'd be honored" I laugh as I sit down in an empty booth. I watch Ethan order smoothies and then walk carefully over to wear I'm sitting making sure not to spill them. As he sits down I say

"Thank you"

"Anytime" he smiles

"So what have you been up to the past few years or so?" He asks taking a sip of his smoothie.

"So much has happened since then."

"Oh yeah? Like what.?"

"I'm really not in the mood to get into detail, but I was engaged to the perfect guy... Troy... But um.." I choked up "He passed recently"

"Oh I'm so sorry... I didn't me-"

"It's fine... I guess it's good to talk about it."

He smiled at me and then took another sip of his smoothie.

"Then maybe we could talk about this some more... Maybe I could go to your place today, I would offer you to come over, but with my roommates you really wouldn't be able toget out one word before they would be all over someone like you"

I blushed

"That'd be great, you could come over today"

I really wanted to hangout with Ethan... To talk about feelings, yeah that. And also because I'm craving attention from anyone that will give it to me. I just want to know that someone cares, evacuee Sam really isn't helping out that issue by ignoring me.

Me and Ethan finish our smoothies, and he offers to throw mine away for me. I smile and allow it.

"Just follow me in the car To my flat" I say. He nods. I get into my hummer and start to drive back to my flat. I look into the review mirror and see Ethan's car following me. I smile remembering all the memories we had together as teenagers.