Conflict of intrest

I ring the doorbell of Sam's flat. I take a deep breath as I hear footsteps approaching, he opens the door and let's me in. I take off my shoes and just look at him.

"Sam I'm-"

His phone starts to ring right as I'm about to apologize. He glances at it and says

"It's Michael... I gotta take this"

I nod in agreement. He answers the phone.

"Ey bud, what's up?"

There's a pause

"What do you mean?" He says into his phone.

There's another pause, this one longer then the first.

"Shit. Alright I'm on my way... See you soon." He says and hangs up. I stand there looking lost.

"Come on" He say handing me one of his sweaters.

"Where are we going?"

"I'll explain in the car, just come on. Lets go!" He replies sounding worried. I slip his sweater over my T-shirt and slip on my shoes. He honks the horn for me to hurry up. I close the door behind me and shuffle to the car.

-----------------------

"Wait, so what happened?" I ask not understand what Sam just explained.

"Carter and Jake went out to the bar and drove home.. Make a long story short, they got into a small collision with another car on the way home... They weren't drunk, thank god, but they still have to be taken to the hospital just in case."

I sit back in my seat taking all this information in. Wow. They could have died too. All in a year. Things happen so fast, I can't even blink without something happening. I guess it's true what they say, you never know what you have until its gone.