Chapter 17

Chapter 17

            So...it's now July 28th and tomorrow I'm going to go get my baby girl!  I'm so excited to see my angel again.  I've missed her every day since I left her.  I really should not have left her but I am in a better place.  I've got a job, an apartment, and her room is all set up.  I graduated from high school and have enough money to take care of her.  My new job is as a secretary at a law firm.  My dad helped me get the job and it pays $700 a week.  I'm happy that I can work and they have a day care there.  I asked my boss for the week off so that I could go get Aurora and get her settled at home.  She's only 4 months old so it shouldn't take long to get her settled. 

            The next morning I set off to Michigan to get her. 

            When I arrived in Michigan I checked into a hotel, got something to eat and prepared myself to go see Jason.  I got dressed in my jean capris, flip flops and my cheetah print blouse.  I grabbed my purse and set off in the car.

            I looked in the mirror and checked my face.  I haven't seen Jason in a very long time so I needed to look excellent.  I grabbed my purse from the passenger seat and walked up to his porch.  I rang the doorbell and waited for an answer.  A few seconds later a tall black haired woman in a slick red shirt and jeans answered the door.

            "Hey there, can I help you?" she asked me.  Her voice was quizzical at who I was.

            "Um...hi...is Jason here?"  I don't know who this woman is but she seems nice, I guess.

            "Yeah, sure," she turned around to an about 8 year old boy, "Lucas, go get your father.  He's in the back.  Come on in."

            "Thank you.  You have a nice house here."  I just had to say something.  I stood in the entryway of their home and looked around.  It seemed nice.  All white with flowers on the side table and a red rug on the floor.

            "Thanks. Oh there you are dear."  Jason walked into the entryway and kissed the woman. "There's someone here to see you."

            "Oh hi, um... hunny, we're going to go to my office and talk," Jason told the woman.

            My attitude around this man is getting worse but I have to maintain composure.  Jason took me into his office in the basement and closed the door behind me when I walked in.  Jason leaned in to kiss me but I stepped back.

            "I want my daughter and then I'll be leaving," I told him.

            "I think we need to talk first," his tone of voice was not pleasing.

            "Jason, all I want is Aurora.  I'm going to take her and go back home.  She'll be out of your hair soon enough and you can go back to whoever that woman and kid is."

            "Lucy, you might as well sit down."  I sat down on the couch and crossed my arms across my chest.  "What the hell is wrong with you?"

            "With me?  Nothing."

            "Apparently there is.  No normal person would leave their daughter with their kids' dad with only a note saying Take care of Aurora, she's your daughter.  I'll be back for her.  That's not a good idea.  You don't answer my calls, my emails or anything.  Lucy, I freaking love you and you won't talk to me then you leave some kid on my doorstep.  What the hell?!"

            "First of all, I'm not normal.  I got pregnant with my teacher's kid.  Second, I didn't want to tell you that I was pregnant so I didn't want to talk to you.  Then you just said love, like now tense, not past tense.  You can't still love me."