Chapter 12 - Time to pluck the courage.

Dan's POV:

What was he doing here?

Why?

Dan couldn't have been any more furious thanks to Aaron. He didn't want to ever seem him again. He didn't NEED to see him. Dan wanted to punch Aaron, and oh boy, he would have done if it wasn't for Chris standing and Phil, though Dan may of threw a fist at Aaron's face to prove his manliness to Phil. Dan let his head repeatedly bang into the wall as he waited for something to happen. Not really sure what this 'something to happen' was.

Phil walked alone, filling most of Dan's mind with relief. 10% was still populated by anger and hatred. "You got rid of him right?" Dan asked, looking over at the direction of the door. "Yeah, as soon as I heard the name 'Aaron' - I shut the door. Well, I said 'no' too."; Phil explained receiving a bear hug from Dan.

"Thanks Philadelphia!" The brunette beamed childishly.

"New nickname, huh?"

"Yeah, just came up with it. Oh wait... You don't like cheese?"

"No, but oh well." Phil smiled. The happiness soon faded from his expression as he continued to examine the boy more.

"He really did hurt you, didn't he?".

Dan fought back the tears hard, constricting Phil more in the hug. Aaron was his first 'true' love. He was absolutely head over heels for Aaron and Aaron treated like dirt. Just someone else's feelings to toy around with. And now he returns. For what? To humiliate Dan? To crush in the palm of his hand? To what?

"He did, but you know what matters more? I found you." Dan whispered, feeling the butterflies create a whirlpool inside his stomach. Those 3 words nearly as powerful as those other 3 specific words.

"Actually, I more or less found you, and saved you." Phil corrected Dan, looking so smug and proud.

"Well, I found you-.";.

"In my own home.". The two laughed, moving as close as the possibly could in this hug. When Phil was here, Dan could switch the world off. If Dan ever felt low, Phil could easily place a smile on his face. Though Dan still couldn't let go the fact Aaron was there. After being stranded on a beach that night, Dan called round at Aaron's to find he had deserted the bungalow. Aaron's adopted parents left him in that house for an unknown reason. What his former boyfriend did to him was unforgivable.

Later that night, Dan text his mum to let her know he was stopping over at Phil's house tonight, in which her response was fine. The two cuddled into Phil's warm and cozy bed for the night, spooned together. "Night". The boys said in sync, causing them to giggle, then let their eyes shut.

The next morning was... Usual. The same morning kisses, same shredded Wheats, same everything really. Dan had accidentally left 1 pair or his school uniform at school, so he got changed in the bathroom. When Dan was ready, he looked back at his reflection and focused. The boy realised how much he had changed recently. How cheery he had become recently and that was all thanks to Phil. He tightened his tie, nodded back at the mirror, then headed out of the bathroom.

"Have a good day at school." Phil said softly, placing a kiss on Dan's cheek. Dan wished he could just finish school. Not only because he wanted more time with Phil, but because felt so young because he was still learning at school, and Phil wasn't.

As he entered school, or Dan likes to call it 'hell', it was crowded, noisy and unpleasant, which of course was usual. Dan fought his way through all the people and eventually made it to his locker. He slung his backpack off and chucked it into his locker, then grabbed his torn, camo pencil case and planner. Dan had Maths first lesson which he hated and didn't understand why anyone needed to learn most the things the Maths teacher; Mr Halywin taught the class. Dan felt all his energy sizzle away and fell down into his chair. Fortunately, for the not-exactly-maths-biggest-fan, he had his best friend Oliver aside him.

"Someones tired this morning." Oliver smirked, his fringe closing over his left eye. Though he was being obnoxious, Oliver was actually happy and seemed much more relieved now Jennifer was back, safe in her own home. Oliver was usually a grumpy, sarcastic person, like Dan, which I guess is how they soon made best friends. The guy looked even more caring for how he looked as everything from his shirt to his tie which normally hung carelessly loose, was tucked in or tightened up.

"Yeah, well, someone seems a lot more happier today." Dan remarked, resting his head in the palm of his left hand.

"That's because my two best friends haven't disappeared.". Sometimes, Oliver could be incredibly cheesy.

"Or Jennifer." Dan smirked, looking up at his red-faced best friend. Oliver shook his head defensively and said nothing. Dan sighed, "when are you planning to tell Jen how you feel?".

"I-... I don't know." Oliver mumbled.

"I think you two would be a great couple," Dan smiled, "and I know you won't hurt her like her last two fails for boyfriends.". Dan did honestly believe Oliver would be a great boyfriend for Jennifer. Oliver continued to look at Dan with such a unsure expression, then as he thought about what Dan had actually advised him, the expression transitioned to more reassuring.

"You think?". Oliver asked, hopefully.

"I know.".

Maths class soon ended as Dan gave Oliver lots of encouraging opinions. Sitting at back of the classroom only helped with being able to slack and have conversations about XBOX, tv shows and of course the occasional conversation brought up Oliver about Jennifer. You could see from glint in those lime green eyes of his, the natural beam that would creep upon his face, how engrossed he would be when discussing Jennifer, that he obviously had feelings for the girl.

When the two gathered their equipment and left the maths room, they stumbled across her.

Jennifer.

It was time for Oliver to pluck the courage.