Chapter 8

The next morning, Ethan is preparing to leave when I wake up.

"Oh, good. You're awake now," he says once he sees me.

I grunt in response. I'm not a morning person.

"Ok," he says, "I'm about to leave. We are still pretty close to the village. I want you to walk one hundred paces away from here. Once I'm done, I will come find you so we can be back on the move."

I sigh, "You don't have to treat me like I am five, Ethan. I'm sixteen, I can take care of myself."

He looks at me skeptically before handing me a dagger, "Use this if you have to."

I take it out of his hand, "Thanks."

"Sure," he replies. "Now, turn and go one hundred paces."

I follow his directions and start walking. At three paces, I turn, "Good luck, Ethan."

"You too, Elliot," he answers.

I turn back around and start walking my paces.

***

At about midday, I start to worry.

Ethan went into the village at almost sunrise. It can't take that long? Can it? What if he's in trouble? What if he's dead? What would I do then? Who would help me?

Calm down, Elliot! It's Ethan. He can take care of himself.

Suddenly, I hear footsteps behind me. I turn and throw the dagger at whatever is making the noise.

"Ow!"

"Ethan?" I ask.

He is holding his arm. The dagger just grazed it.

"What the hell, Elliot?" he whispers at me.

"Sorry!" I whisper back. "Wait-why are we whispering?"

"I'm trying to get away from some guards!" he says like it's obvious. "Now get your dagger and let's get out of here!"

"Ok!" I answer and walk back the way he came.

The dagger is about fifty paces away from where I threw it.

I can throw!

Then, I hear a rustle.

"Ethan, I swear if you're trying to scare me I might 'accidentally' throw this dagger at your head!" I yell kind of scared.

"That's so sweet," I hear a low voice rumble. "Elliot thinks we're her boyfriend."

Wait-I know that voice anywhere. It's, "Firedrake."

He steps out from behind a bush, "How nice to see you, Elliot."

"How do you know my name?" I ask boldly.

"I've been stalking you," he grins sickly sweet.

"Why?" I ask.

"I need you so that I can fulfill my destiny!" he answers arrogantly.

I snort, "I'm touched."

He frowns at me, "Seize her."

Four guards jump out from behind trees. They hold up a net and throw it on me.

"Ethan!" I scream.

"Shut her up! Quickly!" Firedrake says.

"Ethan!" I scream again.

"Quickly!" Firedrake says once more.

All the guards have their hands full trying to keep me down, so no one is trying to get me to stop screaming.

"Ethan!" I say, the forest getting dizzy.

I see Ethan come over, then I see him fight Firedrake, Firedrake goes down, then the guards go down. Ethan lifts up the net and starts dragging me away. Finally, everything goes black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey, guys!

Originally this was going to be longer, but I'm not feeling well. Sorry you're stuck with a short, crappy one. They're gonna get longer I promise.

Meanwhile, go check out my besties! They're stories are really cool! They are:
hardcorewriter02
BeaBeaBlondie
lainy_lou
Wing1t

Thanks, guys!