Chapter 9

I wake up to a sobbing noise. When I open my eyes, though, I can't see much but bright spots. I panic for a moment. Then, my eyes adjust.

My eyes start to roam so I can figure out where I am.

Trees, sunlight, sobbing. Birds, leaves, sobbing. Bushes, dirt, sobbing. Who is sobbing.

I make an effort to stand, but I can't. So ,instead, I sit up. Even though dark spots dance in my eyes. Slowly, I rotate my head and find a boy who looks about my age sitting next to me. He is crying.

He has dark hair and he seems fairly tall. He is not exactly tan, but he is definitely not pale. Freckles are dotted everywhere on him. He is actually quite handsome.

The boy looks up and I see that he has mesmerizing green eyes. For a moment we are both speechless. Whether or not it's for different reasons I'm not sure.

"Elliot!" he speaks first.

He knows who I am?

"Who are you?" I ask.

For a slight second he looks hurt. Then, his eyes cloud over with worry.

"You don't know who I am?" he asks me.

I shake my head, "I'm sorry. Should I?"

He bites his lip and mumbles a yeah.

We are both silent. Until I grow frustrated.

"Are you not going to tell me who you are or why I'm in the middle of a forest?" I spit angrily.

"Calm down, Elliot," he says.

"Until I know who you are," I tell the boy, "I would prefer to be left alone."

He sighs and walks away. But, before he is almost completely out of sight, he turns his head back and quietly says, "Ethan."

Immediately he turns around and almost runs deeper into the forest.

Ethan...Ethan...Ethan...

The name sounds very familiar and I can feel something pulling at the back of my mind.

What is going on?

***

Ethan comes back maybe an hour later. I still can not remember who he is or how I got here.

"I brought some food," he tells me as he walks back to me.

All I can do is nod my head.

He starts a fire. With his hair in his face and his tongue sticking out of the corner of his mouth as he concentrated, he really does look adorable.

When I think this, part of me screams that that is a bad thought to have. The other part of me loves that thought.

Are we in a relationship? I wonder.

I guess it's not entirely impossible. Though, it probably isn't likely.

Once the fire is started and the food is started, I ask him questions.

"Are we together?" I ask, getting the worst question out of the way.

He looks at me confusedly, "We are together right now in the forrest."

"No," I respond. "I meant are we...like...you know..."

"Oh, uh..." he seems to be thinking. "No. No, we aren't."

I nod slightly disappointed, "How do I know you?"

This time he sighs, "It's going to be a long story."

He tells me of how we were in jail, of his mother, escaping jail, and encountering Firedrake while we eat the food he cooked.

"Why did I pass out?" I ask.

"He poisoned you," he answers with his head hung low. "It was all my fault."

I cup under his chin and pull his eyes up to mine, "No, it wasn't."

"You don't even remember," he replies, "how would you know?"

"I can feel it," I answer.

I look into his eyes and I immediately get lost in them. He is staring at my eyes, too. We start to lean closer and closer. He closes his eyes, but I don't close mine.

Every fiber in my body screams no. So I pull away. In a moment, Ethan's eyes open and hurt is evident.

"It's late," I say. "We should sleep."

He nods and walks to the other side of our little fire.

I sigh and stare up at the stars. All at once I think about nothing and everything until, finally, slumber overtakes me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey, guys!

Double update because I forgot yesterday was Tuesday and that I needed to update.

Also, I know some of you (hardcorewriter02 ) will be mad that they didn't kiss. But trust me, their is a reason. Just trust me.

Anyway, sorry for boring you.

Thanks, guys!