Chapter 12

The clearing is not very big, and in no time we are at the cottage. Again, Weston warns Ethan and I to follow his lead and remain extremely careful. He looks at each of us and makes us promise to be careful before knocking on the door in three swift knocks.

I hear creaking in the house before a beautiful woman opens the door. She has blonde hair that is tied up in a bun and piercing blue eyes. The woman looks about as tall as me and maybe a few years older.

"Weston!" she hugs Weston in an annoying, cheerful voice.

"Samantha," he replies without any enthusiasm and without hugging her back.

She releases her hold on Weston and looks at Ethan.

"You brought guests," she smirks.

Then, she looks at me. Immediately, she starts to glare at me. I raise my eyebrow at Weston. His eyes flash a warning to be careful, so I just stand there and let her examine me.

Once she finishes, she invites us all inside for tea. Having eaten nothing but bread the past few days, Ethan and I eagerly accept the offer. Samantha leads us into her house.

Her cottage is not big. When you walk in there is a fire pit against the far wall, a bed pushed under a window, and a table in the center of the room. Food is set up all around the table. Seeing this makes me nervous. Almost like she was expecting us. I guess if Weston trusts her than I do too.

Samantha points to the table, "Please eat."

I look at her skeptically, but Weston sends me another warning glance so I sit down and begin to put small bits of food in my mouth. Partly because I was trying to be polite, and partly because I didn't trust her.

After a few bites, I notice that the food actually tastes quite good.

"This tastes amazing," I tell Samantha.

Her face lights up, "Thank you!"

I nod politely and keep eating.

Once I am full, I look at Samantha. She seems to be staring at Weston. He doesn't seem to like it. I try to save him by clearing my throat. Samantha slowly tears her eyes away from Weston's face and he sends me a quick thank you nod.

"So, Samantha," I begin, "I was wondering if you could help me out?"

"With what?" she raises an eyebrow.

"I seem to have lost my memory," I reply.

"How?"

Quickly, I recount everything that has happened since I woke up after fighting Firedrake. Once I finish, she just nods. It's still for a couple minutes after that as Samantha stares at me.

"I can help," she finally says.

I let out the breath I had been holding.

"It's going to take a few days, though," she adds.

"I don't have that kind of time," I plead.

"I'm sorry," she says, "there are just so many things that I need to get."

"What if we helped you?" Ethan asks.

"It would still take a few days. Possibly more because you would have to negotiate. I really am sorry," she replies sincerely.

"It's ok," I assure her. "Maybe once all of this is over."

She just smiles sadly, "Maybe."

"We must be going then," Weston says.

"Yeah we better," I agree.

We all stand and move toward the door. Samantha holds the door for each one of us. I am last.

"Thank you for the food," I say.

"You're welcome. Be safe," she replies.

I nod before running to catch up with the others.

After walking for a while, it begins to get dark.

"We should stop and rest," Ethan suggests.

Silently, we begin to set up our camp.

Once we are finished, Weston comes up to me, "Want to go for a walk?"

"Sure," I smile.

We begin to walk away. Once we are out of Ethan's earshot, we begin to talk.

"I'm really sorry Samantha couldn't help you, Elliot," Weston says. "I thought for sure she would be able to."

"It's ok, Weston," I reply.

"I know, I just-"

"It's ok," I interrupt him.

He smiles at me, "Listen, Elliot, there's something I-"

He is cut off by Ethan's screams.

Immediately, we run back to our camp. He is nowhere to be found when we get there.

"Ethan!" I yell. "Ethan!"

There is no reply.

"Elliot," Weston says quietly.

I turn back to him. He is examining a dagger.

"It was Finnick."