Chapter 23

When Shane comes back, I am trying to learn how to use a sword. I figure this can be the beginning of my training. Then, we can find Ethan and move to the Southern Water Village.

"What are you doing?" he asks.

"Training," I answer.

"For what?" he asks, setting down the firewood.

"You better sit down," I suggest.

I explain what happened after he left. I explain all that's happened and why I must find Ethan. He nods as I tell him about Weston, Samantha, and Aunt Elizabeth. Finally, I tell him about what I must do. About how I must kill Willyn. He doesn't take it very well.

"Y-you're," he stumbles.

"The Water Princess," I nod.

"B-but that's not possible!" he argues. "Your name doesn't even start with a W!"

"I know, Shane," I say softly. "Were you listening to me?"

"Kind of," he breathes.

"Calm down," I beg.

He just sits there.

"Shane?"

No response.

"Ethan and Weston had no problem believing me," I start. "I guess I'll just go with them."

This gets a reaction out of him. "No! No, I'll help you."

I slightly narrow my eyes. "Glad to have you with me."

His response to Ethan and Weston was weird. I mean, sure we kissed, but he apologized for it. He isn't jealous is he?

Of course not! Who would like a girl like you?

He kissed me.

And apologized. He obviously doesn't like you.

I just sigh. Arguing with myself is annoying and pointless. Instead, I pick up my sword to train. After a few minutes of, what is sure to be pointless, training, Shane stops me.

"Let me help you," he says.

He stands behind me and wraps his arms around me, placing his hands on mine. Tingles shoot up my arm. Shane moves my hands so they are correctly positioned on the sword. Still holding me, he goes through various attacks and defenses. He tells me when to use them. After that, he gets two good sized sticks and we fight with them.

While we are fighting, I think I am doing well enough, but Shane does not seem pleased. He stops every few seconds to correct my form. Obviously, he beats me. By the time we are finished, I have many bruises all over my body. I plop down on the ground and moan in pain. Shane laughs, and I glare at him.

"Are you ok?" he asks only half concerned.

"Yeah," I groan.

"You sure, Princess?" he smiles.

"Don't call me that," I tell him, suddenly serious.

"O-okay," he responds. "Why?"

"Just don't," I warn him.

After that, I roll to face the opposite way. I can feel Shane's eyes on me. Shaking it off, I close my eyes and try to sleep.