Chapter 7

After running through the woods all day, Ethan sets up camp. We haven't had food since we've been in prison, so we are both really hungry.

"I'm hungry," I complain. My stomach rumbles, as if it's agreeing.

"Me too," Ethan answers. "We can get food at the next village."

"We don't have any money," I point out.

"I know," he says regretfully.

"How will we get food then?" I ask.

"We're going to have to steal," he replies.

I groan, "No way! I can't steal!"

"Then I can do it," Ethan says.

"Fine by me," I agree.

"Let's get some sleep. We have a long day tomorrow," he says.

I nod and lie down. Many thoughts run through my head. Until, eventually, the darkness over takes me.

*The next morning*

Snap!

I sit up quickly and look around. The only thing I see is Ethan.

"Sorry," he says, "I didn't mean to wake you."

"It's all right," I answer. "I thought something was wrong."

"No," he answers. "Although, we should start moving to the next village."

"What village is that?" I ask, standing up.

"The Western Firelord Village," he answers as we start walking.

I immediately stop.

"The F-firelords?" I stutter.

"Elliot, are you ok?" Ethan asks.

"Y-yeah, I'm ok," I answer and start walking again.

I can feel Ethan's gaze on me, but I ignore it and keep walking. He jogs to catch up to me. Thankful, though, he doesn't question me any further.

What's wrong with me? All he did was say that we are going to the Firelord village. It's not like he attacked my village or is one of the most powerful enemies to have. No! Nothing like that!

Calm down, Elliot. It's going to be fine. You're not going to have to go into the village. Ethan can steal the stuff and bring it back to you, and Firedrake lives in the Northern Firelord Village. You'll be fine.

After more walking, a couple stops, and more than half the day, we reach the village.

"It's probably best that we rest tonight and go in tomorrow," Ethan says.

"Yeah," I agree. "Except, I think only you will be going in tomorrow."

"Wait, what? Why?" he asks me.

"Well, I don't think I will be much help because I can't steal or lie well. Plus, I will probably slow you down because I'm so hungry," I reply, lying smoothly.

He ponders the suggestion for a moment before replying, "Fine. But only if you promise to take care of yourself and promise not to be seen."

"I promise," I tell him.

"Ok, then. I guess that's settled," he answers.

"We should rest," I propose.

"All right," he says. "Let's just rest for now."

I lie down and close my eyes, letting the world around me fade away.