Games~ Day 1~Part 2

Ashlyn Pope's POV:

I stumble over another tree root and struggle to pull Chloe up. She leans into me heavily, Poppy supporting her other side. Leaving Lark on the ground by the cornucopia, lying still, was probably the worst thing I've ever had to do. But I know it affected Chloe even more. We're her allies but Lark was her friend.

Poppy carries a large pack on her shoulders, her face flushed and her eyes shining with tears. We had planned to all make it out of the bloodbath together. We hadn't counted on losing someone in the process.

"I'm going to avenge Lark if it's the last thing I do." Chloe grits out, clenching her fists. "Sparkle better watch her back!" She screams. Poppy instinctively covers her mouth with her hand to prevent her from alerting the other tributes of our location.

We attempt to make our way through the dense forest but eventually the sun begins to set and it's too hard to see.

"We should set up camp here," I say, looking at the dense bushes and trees around me. Even if tributes did find us in here we could easily get lost beneath the undergrowth. "Let's check what's in our packs."

Chloe warily sits on the ground, crossed-legged, and unzips her backpack. From it, she pulls out a bag with a loaf of bread, a flashlight, a mesh net, cream of some kind and a full water bottle. Helpful, but more on the technical survival/wilderness adventure side of things. Poppy takes her backpack off and dumps its contents on the hard dirt ground. She manages to obtain two apples, a wool sweater, a sleeping bag, and a small tent.

"I'll take the sweater and you two can share the sleeping bag." Chloe says, her voice void of any emotion. It takes a while to set up the tent and even after that the three of us only barely fit. We collect large branches and leaves and spread them over the top and sides of the tent. Tall grasses already cover the bottom portion and we are almost completely hidden in the plants.

The night turns frigidly cold and wind whips against the tent walls. Chloe stays off to the side, curled up in the large sweater but Poppy and I huddle together for warmth.

"Do you think we're gonna be okay." I whisper, making sure only she can hear. She closes her eyes and shakes her head slightly.

"I don't know, Ashlyn. I just don't know."

I nod, shifting to lay on my back. The ceiling of the tent is a soft orange colour but the thick branches above cast dark shadows upon it.

"What if people find us? We can't all make it out Ashlyn...I'm scared...." Poppy whispers, watching me with shining eyes. I simply nod my head, not wanting to get into this conversation that can only end in fears, anxiety and stress. I was going to make it out. For Olivia, for me, for my district, for my future.

Cody Willow's POV:

I work with Casimir, sorting out supplies inside the cornucopia. Deston and Erika are scouting out the perimeter of the clearing and Sparkle and Corrie have gone off hunting. The cornucopia is loaded with supplies, the other tributes having only taken a few packs and weapons.

Someone shouts outside the cornucopia and I stand to look out. Sparkle is running back towards us, Erika following behind.

"Corrie ran away with the food we caught. She took a pack with her too." Sparkle says, out of breath.

"She only joined our alliance for the perks we offer." I hear Deston mutter beside me. "What a brat."

"Should we go out and catch her. Treat her as a traitor should be treated." Sparkle grits out, obviously offended at Corrie's disloyalty.

"No! She's just trying to survive like the rest of us. If you really care go out tomorrow." Erika replies, crossing her arms and leaning against a rack of spears. Sparkle shoves her shoulder, "What's up with you? Are you going to end up like Corrie? A traitor?" She accuses.

Erika Riker's POV

I close my eyes, I've already betrayed them in so many ways.

A/N: Sorry for that little POV change at the end. Next chapter will be more exciting! Anyways, thank you for reading!