Games~Day 4~Part 2

Chloe Bloom's POV:

I stare absentmindedly at Ashlyn as she fills up her canteen of water on the shore of the beach. Her hair is knotted and her loose cargo pants are ripped and dirty but I can't help but smile when I see her glance back to me. When she looks down again I fiddle with my hands, laying them in my lap. I wasn't supposed to find a friend. I wasn't even supposed to have an ally for that matter. Airyn is the only person that matters and I can't get distracted.

"Chloe?" Ashlyn's voice breaks me out of my thoughts and I look up to find her standing over me with a questioning look.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I say quickly, not even letting her talk. She frowns and sits down next to me, leaning her back against the same tree.

"No you're not," She counters,"I can tell." Her words are exaggerated, as if she knows exactly what I'm  thinking.

"I'm just wondering about Airyn." I shrug, at least it isn't a complete lie. She seems satisfied and grabs my hand in reassurance.

"I'm sure he's fine."

Keith Kidd's POV:

"Red?" I call up ahead for the third time today. "Where are we going?"

We came from the cliffs, wandering across the beach to eventually reach the forest, which is where we currently reside. Red seems focused, leading us through the dense trees to a place I have yet to know about.

"Just keep walking." He calls back, waving his axe forward in the direction of our path. I shake my head. Ever since Caspian and Clennan died, he's barely talked to me at all. I guess I've just been going along with him because of what? Fear? Probably.

Red comes to a sudden stop and before I know it, I'm standing beside him.

"What are we doing here?" I whisper, staring out at the metal structure of the cornucopia positioned ahead.

"We are going tribute hunting." He says simply. I glance at him, confused. Why would he want to do that? We had agreed we would stick to the shadows and not go out looking for trouble. 

"No we're not. And if you are, I'm not going with you." I say, turning back around the way we came. He grabs my arm roughly.

"Where do you think you're going? You won't survive a second out there by yourself." He sneers, his expression one I've never seen from him. What's happened?

I raise an eyebrow and pull out of his grasp. He glances back but just barely.

"Watch me." I walk away, faster than usual, Red's unsettling stare focused on my back. I'm probably ten feet away when I feel something slam into me from behind, hard. I don't even have time to scream before I'm on the ground, a numb pain spreading throughout me rapidly. My breathing slows and I see Red standing in the light of the clearing, his axe no longer in his hand. He walks towards me, never missing a beat, an expression along the lines of, "I told you so," painted across his face.

BOOM.

Cody Willow's POV:

I sit with my back to the cornucopia, humming when another cannon goes off. One more down.

Sparkle is out hunting and Erika is no where to be seen, leaving Deston and I to guard our supplies. Deston stays rather quiet, leaving me alone in the metal structure. I set down the stack of throwing knives I'm holding and stand up, peering out along the edge of the clearing.

"Sparkle!" Someone shouts from outside. I'm immediately jumping into a jog, seeing Sparkle coming out of the trees. Deston is already with her, supporting the injured girl.

"What happened?" I ask, joining Deston on Sparkle's other side, supporting her. She stumbles and it's then that I notice the cause. Her shirt masks the wound but I know she's been cut. Her arm also bleeds but it's her face that scares me the most. She looks terrified, as if she's trying to speak but can't. We sit her on the ground and Erika is suddenly there, rushing for supplies. Sparkle shakes her head.

"Poison." Is all she manages to whisper. The situation is suddenly settled then and everyone stops, freezing to let the realization of what's going to happen sink in. 

"I'm so sorry." Someone cries behind me, and I see Erika crouched down with her head in her hands. "I should have been there."

"You're darn right you should have been there! Where have been this whole time anyways!" I scream at her, rage taking over my voice.

She looks up and is about to speak.

BOOM.

A cannon goes off so close to us the ground shakes and we all turn to see Sparkle where we left her, her eyes closed and her expression blank.

"There's only one person who knows how to use poison like this..." Deston mutters. Suddenly it all makes sense.

"Corrie."

The girl from District 10 who's taking out the Careers one by one.

A/N: Next few chapters there'll be a feast. I updated the covers on both my stories so they will look different than before, just so you don't get confused. Also if you haven't already I posted one final chapter on my first novel and I included a mini one shot in it with a sort of sneak peak into this story and what happened after the last.