24 hours until The Winter Royale

Blog #29:
I spent 3 hours after LaLa and Ant left, sleeping on the top bunk while Amy occupied the bottom. It was only 7:30 when I got woken up from my nap- 2 hours before the game. The other girls were saying Kasey wanted us to go downstairs to the Alpha Den.

Amy and I walked in looking like death and took a seat on the pool table, over looking everyone that chose to sit on the floor. LaLa texted me saying she got an e-mail and that she was looking for us. Right when LaLa walked in and sat beside Amy, Kasey walked in with her roommate, Ashley.

LaLa: "How you late for the house meeting you called?"
Kasey: "I'm sorry do you have somewhere important to be?"
LaLa: "Yes, my man's house, getting ready for the game."
Kasey: "Anyway, you all should be getting an e-mail within the next couple of minutes but.. There's a syphilis outbreak on campus."

Murmurs made their way through the crowd of girls as everyone had something to say about it.

B: "That's why you called this meeting?"
Kasey: "Yes but also.. there may not be a Winter Royale."

Everyone started yelling over each other as she broke the news.

Kasey: "At least not tomorrow. Please stop shouting at me, it's not my decision."
Amy: "Can yall please be quiet so I can talk! I'm not in this sorority but I've watched my best friends and everybody else in here work hard. Don't move the date- they've worked hard for this."
Kasey: "It's not me, it's Ms. Perkins. The outbreak is all everybody talking about, rushing to get to the clinic. She wants The Winter Royale to be all they're talking about. I'll talk to her about it later tonight. In the mean time, symptoms include soars and ulcers in your mouths. If you think you have it, go to the clinic for help. For everyone else, the game is in less than 2 hours and I want to see all of you there."

Everyone left the Alpha Den with an attitude, but I was fine. I mean, yeah, I worked hard. But I have enough on my plate financially, academically and mentally. I wouldn't mind returning everything I bought for the Winter Royale so I could get my money back.

As we walked upstairs I called Nick again, and he picked up at the 3rd ring. Before I could say hi, a young and feminine voice answered with a "Hello?"

She repeated herself twice more, and each time an overwhelming feeling took over. Every time I tried to speak a lump in my throat caught me by surprise. All I knew was that she sounded familiar. Vanessa?

Wouldn't be the first time.

When I heard Nick's voice in the background, I hung up and block-listed him. Was it childish? Yes. This was probably the first time I was jealous for Nick, and it didn't feel good. Now I know how he feels about Ricky. I composed myself and got ready for the game.

After I got out the shower and lotioned myself, I told LaLa and Amy about the phone call. They tried to rationalize.

LaLa: "Maybe it was a friend on campus."
Amy: "Yeah but he hasn't been answering her calls or texts all day."
B: "I'm telling yall, it sounded like Vanessa!"
Amy: "Okay just calm down before you rip your jersey." she said.

She noticed I was trying to put my jersey over my head, but it was stuck around my neck. I huffed and puffed as I finally got it pass my boobs, and ran my hands down my side along my curves as I stared in the mirror.

It was Ricky's number- number 3. I would wear it to his games and I figured if Nick was actually going to show up to his own game, he'd see me in it and get jealous.

LaLa: "B, it was probably nothing. He could of been at the grocery store, library.. Anywhere. And you know you care, because you're wearing Ricky's old jersey to bug him."
B: "I like Nick's attention but I won't compete for it. I don't care who she was because she probably can't compare. I'm just mad she was with him and I wasn't."
Amy: "Well let's go to the game and then turn up after. There's a party on Huntington Road and I want to go."
B: "I think it might be a Netflix and ice-cream type of night, but thanks."