The Way Home

Tenshi and I ran to the bow of Farore's Wind and looked ahead. I could see the the mountains of Hyrule. It has been 7 years since we first left,  Tenshi and I were both 12 now. We just looked at the land that we left so long ago. Once we reached shore, I jumped off the front of the boat, Tenshi jumped and landed on me, giggling. She ran off on all fours and I scrambled onto my feet after her. Impa and the soldiers stayed behind to unload. We found a mountain path that lead to Hyrule Field. As Tenshi ran on, I paused for a minute to look at it. It looked almost exactly the way it did when I left so long ago. I stepped onto the path and smiled. I felt the wind flow though my hair and made a slight whistle. It felt like it was saying "Welcome home". I ran after Tenshi, into Castletown.

It looked the same as when I left it, but there was a shop open in the corner of town, a pet store. Tenshi and I went inside curious. It was filled with caged animals. There were some fish, birds, cats, dogs, and several other creatures stored there, and none of them seemed happy about it. I heard Tenshi gasp and run over to a cage containing 2 Keatons. "Mommy! Daddy!", she said. I was shocked. What were the odds of finding her parents here, of all places. The shopkeeper was a large man who had a mean expression on his face, he didn't look like someone who would be running a pet shop. He walked up to Tenshi and picked her up by the back of her dress. She squeaked.

He said, "Unless you wanna buy them, you need to clear out!". I felt anger rising within me. I approached the shopkeeper. I was about half his size, Tenshi was even smaller.

"Put her down, I'll pay for them." He started laughing.

"Boy, unless you have 600 rupees in your little purse, I don't think you can afford these..." I spilled out the contents of my wallet. 3 orange rupees fell out.

"Oh, I'm sorry, is there a tax fee?" I proceeded spill out 5 silver rupees. The shopkeeper set down Tenshi, grabbing the rupees off the floor.

"Take them!" I unlocked the cage and let out Tenshi's parents. They all hugged. Her father looked at me. I could hear his voice within my mind saying, "Thank you... I had dreams about a young boy who would protect my daughter...". I smiled and bowed to him. Even after 7 years of adventuring, I was still a bit shy. Tenshi came up to me after talking to her mother, she looked upset.

She said, "Oni... I've had so much fun with you since you found me on the ship, but now I need to be with my parents... I hope you understand..." Her ears drooped and her tails weren't wagging. I didn't say anything, I just smiled a little and hugged her. I felt my tears fall.

"I'll miss you...", I whispered to her.

"I'll miss you too, Shiro......" She kissed my cheek and ran off with her parents. I was shocked. I never told her my real name, so there was no way she could have known it. I watched as she ran away into the forest. I went back into Castletown and into the castle. While Tenshi and I were saying goodbye, Impa and the others must have reached the castle. We all stood in front of the king, who was now 22.

He said, "Oni Kage, step forward." I did what he said and stood before his throne. I got down on one knee. He stood up and drew a rapier and put it to my shoulder. I was perfectly still. "Due to your strength and prowess shown on this expedition, along with all of the new additions to the kingdom due to your heroism, I now grant you nobility in my kingdom. You will now be referred to as, 'Lord Oni of Kage.' If you go to the place where your home once stood, you will find your castle. It has been under construction since you rescued the Mask Man in Gerudo Desert and prevented a very powerful and evil entity from falling into the wrong hands. You will find your horse outside." I bowed to him one last time and left. I approached the place where I used to call home to find there was now a castle standing in its place. I went inside and was greeted by several servants. One of them approached me and bowed.

He said, "Welcome, Lord Oni. I am your butler, James." I smiled and waved at him. He smiled back. "Your room is upstairs, my lord. We will discuss your schedule later." I went upstairs to find someone asleep in a twin bed next to mine. Upon closer inspection, I recognized the person as the girl I saw when I first came to Castletown. She slowly woke up.

"Are you Oni?", she asked. I nodded in reply.

I asked, "Who are you?"

She smiled. "I'm Marie, your fiance..."