Four

Pain.

That's the only feeling I have right now, sitting here watching Sam attached to so many machines, battling with her life, she was so stool and unmoving that for one fleeting second, I'd have thought she'd given up on us if not for the steady beeping of the heart machine.

The nurse assigned to her, Claire had told me that Sam had a seizure earlier today and became restless after that so they had to induce sleep to ensure her body rested properly.

"Hang on Sammy, we're almost there."

I could barely hear my own voice as I whispered softly.

I wished I could take her place on that bed, I should be the sick one, her little eight year old body was just too fragile for this.

My baby. I was fourteen when she was born, there was no unit of measurement to gauge my joy that afternoon, finally, I had a sibling, I had someone to look out for, I had someone to take bra shopping and do her braids, I had a friend.

I couldn't fail her, I'd promised to take care of her that afternoon I saw her in her white cot with pink hands and pink feet, I'd also promised dad to look out for Sam and mom and that meant a great deal to me.

Sighing deeply, I sank into the vacant chair at the foot of Sam's bed and pulled the elastic band out of my hair and shook it, my red locks falling down mid back. Sam took dad's black hair and mom's eyes and face, I on the other hand took mom's red hair that never did what I wanted and Dad's facial features.

I leaned back into the uncomfortable chair and stretched my legs out. This is going to be one hell of a night

#

A vibration startled me awake from my dreamless slumber, it took me a few seconds to realise it was my phone. Relaxing, I pulled it out from the pocket of my jean and groaned when I saw the caller id.

"What now?"

I sighed when I answered the call.

"I called your bank this morning to confirm that the money was transferred successfully."

Jake snapped. Right.

"Thanks Jake, I owe you with my life."

I said truthfully. I owed him everything and my marrying him was just fair enough.

"Of course you do. Make sure to be at your house this afternoon, I'll have someone over to take your measurements."

He said normally this time, no snapping or barking but it was still an order.

"Okay."

I said but the line went dead already.

I wasn't sleepy anymore, I was filled with hope, I pushed myself out of my seat.

"Hang on Sammy, we're almost there."

I whispered excitedly and rang for Sammy's nurse.

I would hurry straight to the bank and pay for Sam's surgery and then call mom to come to the hospital.

"I have all the money for Sam, I just need to hurry to the bank and pay.

I won't be too long."

I said to Claire.

And bounced out of the room feeling a whole lot better.

I pulled out my phone and called moms phone.

"Mom, please come stay with Sam at the hospital. I need to take care of something urgent."

I left her a voice mail when she didn't answer my call.

Wherever Dad was, I hope he'd overlook my means of getting this money and only see the good side of everything I was doing.

I pulled out Sam's bill for the surgery and looked at it again.

I always carry it along wherever I'm going because it reminded me that I had more pressing issues to attend to than dates and gossip groups.

#

I bolted up at the sound of the doorbell and rushed to the front door.

"Hi."

I mused at the supermodel standing at my doorstep.

"Hello."

She said, smiling friendly at me.

"You're miss Summers?"

I nodded immediately.

"I'm Lena Mathews," I took her extended hand.

"I'm your new assistant... Can I come in?"

How rude of me! I stepped away from the threshold and held the door open.

"Sorry."

I mumbled sheepishly closing the door as she stepped in.

"Mr blackwood says you're in need of a new wardrobe."

She said, wasting no time.

I shrugged and motioned for her to take a seat.

"So he says."

She pulled out her tape. "I would like to talk and get to know you better but Mr Blackwood gave me a deadline, I have to get you're closet ready before tomorrow afternoon."

Lena said, still smiling.

"It's okay, there'll be a next time."

I said and stood up with her.

"Let's get busy then."

I wanted to get this over with, I had to rush back to to the hospital and be with mom as the doctors prepared Sam for surgery.

I did pay for Sam's surgery this morning, that was the fist thing I did with the money. I've decided to spend every shilling of that two million dollar on Sam.

Anything left will be invested on her education.

"You're a C-cup."

Lena's voice brought me back to reality.

"Roses. You love roses, don't you?"

Lena asked. I nodded slowly.

"Five foot ten."

I toned her out again, not paying attention to whatever she was saying.

"Ms Summers, your theme is red. It suits you."

Lena said again. It took everything in my power not to roll my eyes.

This 'doll Rosa up' routine was boring me already.

"Okay, that will be all for now miss Summers."

Lena picked up her hand bag.

"I'll be here tomorrow morning."

She said and started towards the door.

"Wait, you're size nine. Right?"

She stopped and asked.

I nodded slowly. "Yes."

I walked to the door with her.

"Enjoy the rest of your day."

I watched her walk to her car.

Sigh! My life is terrible.

I walked back to my new room and straight to the bathroom, to get ready. I had to go to the hospital and be with mom.

Sorry for the long wait.

Better, longer chapters later.