Thirty four

Rosalind

Mrs Montero said he does this every once in a long while, leave the county for at least a month to start up his business somewhere else.

He was starring at me, urging me to say something but I kept my mouth shut and ignored him all the way to the airport.
He'd insisted that I and the boys see him off to the airport and because I didn't want my boys to distract Clark on the ride back, I agreed.

I was marvelled at how sensitive the boys were, they clung to him all night until they fell asleep and when morning came, they refused to let him out of their slight.

"I'll be gone for a long while boys. I'm trusting you to take care of your mom. Scott, you're the oldest..."
Jake trailed off and sighed.

"God! I sound like dad."
He mumbled to himself.

He had both boys on his lap. One on each leg.
"I'll miss you guys like...."
Hell. I knew he wanted to say but I'd strongly warned him not to cuss or swear or utter something silly in front of the boys.

I sat on the other side of the car and watched them lay their heads against his chest.
His flight had been cleared, his pilot called earlier to let him know.
Being important had it's perks, Like not waiting for flights time, privacy during trips, not having to work three shifts in a row to make ends meet, all he need do was sit comfortably in a soft chair in a well air conditioned office and go through papers. I was sure he had no idea  how to buy anything except jewelries and shares.

I glanced quickly in their direction, wondering why they'd gone silent.
They were just absorbing each other's presence.
It was understandable,  they were pretty close, Jake was their friend, playmate and partner in stealing and eating cookies behind my back.

The way he was acting, I was sure he'd be gone for a long time. I didn't care, it would give me time to sort myself out, to think of something else, apart from the attraction between us or how sweet he'd become in past few weeks.

"Rose, did I do something wrong?"
His voice broke through my thoughts.
I sighed and shook my head even as my mind screamed yes!
He shouldn't be in my head all the time, it was wrong.
The way he invaded my thoughts and sometimes haunted my dreams...

"I'll miss you."

He mumbled, almost shyly.
I gave him a half smile and looked outside again.
We were pulling into the parking lot of the airport.
As the car stopped, he asked Clark to excuse us, to take his luggage to his awaiting pilot.

"Rose, I need to kiss you."
I'm sure he saw me stiffen up because he added.
"Please..."
He was asking because I hadn't said a word to him since that night he rejected me in my room.

I wasn't used to this new Jake, the one that said 'please', the one that actually smiles at me from across the the table, the one that asks if I'm alright, worrying about me....

"Please..."
He was right beside me when he spoke.
I turned to see he'd carefully placed the boys in the seat beside him.

Then without thinking, I turned to him, starring into those hazel orbs, silently offering my mouth to him.

He mumbled something I couldn't grasp before his mouth took possession of mine.
One of his hands pushed into my hair, cupping the back of my head to keep me in place as his tongue dwelled with mine immediately I opened my mouth to him.
It started again, from my belly to my center then to my nipples, the unmistakable tingle of desire.
His other hand tugged me closer to him as he continued his wicked onslaught against my mouth.

Then he groaned and withdrew his tongue but he didn't pull his lips away, instead, he sucked on my lower lip for another three seconds before pulling away.

I was in his lap.
The first thing I noticed when I got my mind back and of course the boys were watching us.

"No, please, just for a second."
He pleaded as I made to pull away from him. I felt him nuzzle my neck gently, sniffling my neck.
He held me like that until his phone vibrated in his pocket.

"I guess that's my call."
He raised his head and pecked my lips before turning to the boys.

"Boys, I have to go."
He gently placed me on the seat and leaned in to kiss their heads.

"I'll call everyday, I promise."
He said before stepping out.

Immediately, Clark stepped into the car and started it.
He turned and gave me a knowing smirk before accelerating the car.
I picked Carter up and used him to hide my red face, he'd witnessed everything.

Scott drew closer to me, his had held on to my hair.

"Please take us to the cake shop."
I told Clark over Carter's head.
Carter was trying to drop a kiss on my lips the way his father had done before kissing their heads but I kept dodging him.

We all needed to cheer up and I needed my mother.
For some reason, I wanted her to hold me, I wanted to cry on her shoulder.
It was Sunday and Sam would be at the shop with her.

"Mama."
Scott tugged on my hair again, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Scott, baby."
I bent my head and kissed the hand he kept on my shoulder making him giggle.

"I envy my boss's relationship with his family."
Clark said, loud enough for me to hear.
I bit back the most sarcastic comment ever and shrugged.
I knew he could see me.

"I hope to have that with my Olivia."
Oh, right he was engaged to whom he described as an angel. I could tell she'd changed him from that carefree Clark to a really responsible man.
I shook my head, I wouldn't wish anyone this life of pain and misery.
I just wanted to crawl under a rock and cry my heart out the same way I did few days back when the boys were at mom's.

The bell rang as I pushed the door and ushered the boys inside the shop.
Tricia, mom's assistant, the one Jake hired, had Sundays off so it was just mom and Sam in the shop.
Sam was reading while mom was going through their records.
They both looked up as we walked in.

"Anty Sammy!"
Scott let go of my hand and ran to Sam's side.
Mom dropped the record books and sighed.

"And there I thought I was favorite."
She mumbled before turning to me.

"Hey baby."
I smiled and settled into the space beside her.

"Hi mommy."
I kissed her cheek.
She patted my hand gently.

I noticed something, mom didn't smile back, she gave me a hard glare, I flinched and looked away.
So much for wanting comfort.

"Young lady we have an awful lot to talk about."
She frowned and turned to play with the boys.

What did I do now!?