Thirty five

Rosalind

True to his word, Jake called the next day and the day after and the day after.
Throughout the week, he called me to talk to his boys, morning and evening, before their bedtime and as soon as they had breakfast.

"Ma'am, your lunch is getting cold."
Sophia called my attention to the yummy looking lasagna on my plate.
But I wasn't in the mood, mom and I are yet to have out talk and it bothered me. I couldn't get it off my mind the same way I could get Jake off. I kept wondering what he does aside working, if he spends his nights in the arms of another woman.

I sighed deeply, picked up my fork and tried to get something down my stomach.
"Thanks Sophs."
The boys were napping and the silence in the house was eating me up slowly.

"Good afternoon ma'am."
I turned around and looked in the direction of the voice.
It was Connor. He gave me a nervous smile.

"Hello, please sit down."
I pointed at one of the chairs in the kitchen island.
He shook his head.

"Thank you but Mr Blackwood asked me to give this to you."
He raised a black laptop bag.
I knew what it was, Jake mentioned that he wanted to see his boys, that his eyes were swelling because they missed seeing his family.

Funny.

"Thank you."
I took the bag from him.
He smiled again, looking anywhere but me.

"I have to go."
Connor said and took two steps back.
Okay, I think Jake said something to scare Connor...

Not wanting to torture him anymore, I nodded and waved as he turned to leave.
Weird.

I sighed and went back to trying to eat.
"Ma'am, your phone."
Grace said, snapping me back to reality.
My phone was actually ringing. It was Jake. I tried to deny it but a wave of excitement washed through me.
I picked up.

"Welcome! To the Jake help centre. Today your lesson will be on how to set up a video call on your new laptop."

By the time he finished his sentence, I was almost chocking on my laughter.
He sounded like a network service provider.

"Seriously!?" I managed to say between laughs.

"Hey, I'm trying to sound useful here."
I shook my head at how childish he sounded.

#

The devil herself was here.
I think Devil-lyn suits her better than Janet.
I was still on the phone with Jake when Sophia informed me of their arrival, Jake cussed and wished me luck before hanging up.

Apart from avoiding my children like a plague, the same way she did when Mr Blackwood brought her along to see the boys the day after they were born, she was less trouble than I anticipated which was good because I was in no mood for her.
The boys felt her hatred because they steered clear of her and clung to Lucy.
I pretended not to notice her feed them tiny sweets from her purse.

I watched my babies closely, wouldn't want them to get hurt by their grandma. I had to be careful around her.

When Sophia walked by, I waved her over and discreetly asked where Mrs Montero was.
"She wasn't feeling too well and left."

Sophia whispered back before hurrying back to finish dinner.

It was just an excuse, I knew what Mrs Montero was avoiding.
I would run too.
I mean, seeing the one person that had a hand in ruining my fairytale would be too much to handle.