Thirty eight

Rosalind.

Everything went back to normal after that day.
My old shell just felt better to hide in, I was still going to school, no talking to Jake, still learning how to drive, Clark was still teaching me to drive but it wasn't fun anymore.
He was Mad at me for cutting him off when he tried to talk to me.

I didn't know why but Nick was avoiding me too.
I think Jake's minions had a hand in that.

Everything was normal at home, Sam had graduated from playmate to teacher in no time.
I couldn't suppress my laughter when I returned from school one day and found her trying to teach algebra to my boys.
I saved them the boredom and took them to my room to spend time with them.

I always felt bad anytime I found them asleep after my driving lessons in the evenings.

Watching them sleep now, I had this urge to differ this semester and spend as much time with them as possible.
I was so confused, it hurt that they'll be turning two next week and I was sure the divorce papers would get to me on that same day.
I took my towel from the bathroom, sat on my dresser and cried into it.
I don't know how long I stayed there but I woke up two hours later, it was three in the morning.
I scrubbed my face with cold water and went to the kitchen for a glass of water.

My heart was thumping wildly in my ribcage and each beat hurt like someone was actually hitting it.
I just had seven days...
I sat on the counter and sipped my water.
I heard my phone vibrating, I got off the counter to go stop it from waking up my boys but then I heard a soft knock on the door.

I thought it was all in my imagination but then I heard it again.

As quietly as possible, I made my way to the front door and peeked through the peephole.

Jake?
I shook my head and looked again.
Even in the dark, I could tell it was him.

The first thing that came to my mind was, he should freeze out there!
But the human part of me turned the key in the lock and opened the door.

"Hi."
I mumbled and held the door wide open for him to enter before closing and locking it.

That he didn't answer me didn't go unnoticed.

"Where are they?"
I bit back a sigh and quietly led him to my room.
I stood by the entrance, watching as he starred at them for a little while then sat on the edge of the bed and took off his shoes, his blazer and wristwatch and got in to bed beside them, pulling the covers over his body.
I sighed and left them alone.

As I reached the lounge, I stretched myself on the longest couch and tried to get at least an hour of sleep.

#

One month, two weeks, six days... That's how long Jake was gone.
I shrugged it off. Not like I cared or something.

I only managed to blink and it was already six AM.
Seeing it was Saturday, no one was awake yet. Mom usually let Sam sleep in for as long as she liked.
I pulled myself to my feet and went back to my room.

Might as well take a shower.
I needed a hot shower from all the cold my body absorbed on the couch.

I smiled at what I saw when I entered my room.
Both the boys were lying on either side, halfway on top of Jake. It was so cute I had to pick up my phone from my nightstand and take a picture.

Satisfied with what I had, I took off all my clothes and went to the bathroom.

"I missed you boys the same way you miss air when drowning."
I heard Jake say when I turned off the shower.