Nine

I missed Sam immediately I stepped back inside the house.

I wasn't ready to answer Jake's questions yet so I headed to the kitchen.

"Can I help?"

I asked Mrs Montero, who was doing the dishes quietly.

"No ma'am don't worry."

She didn't have to be that professional with me, I mean, she was old enough to be my mother.

"Please call me Rose."

I told her as I pulled out a paper towel and started drying the plates.

"But you are Mr Blackwood's wife, he may not like me addressing you by your name."

If Jake didn't like my relationship with his employees, he could go jump into the Pacific ocean for all I care.

"Now that's totally his problem right?"

She chuckled and shook her head.

"Your mom is really nice."

Mrs Montero said, more like whispered.

I just nodded and smiled.
Mom and her 'it's not hard to make friends' attitude.

"Rosalind, what are you doing?"

Of course it was Jake, who else was too blind to see that I was drying the dishes for Mrs Montero.

"I'm just changing the decorations on these dishes, they look really boring."

Sarcasm dripped from my voice.
What!? I didn't make him blind.

I turned back to what I was doing.

"You've pissed him off."

Mrs Montero muttered. I just shrugged

I heard Jake stomp towards me but I didn't expect him to grab my arm.

"Excuse us Ms Montero."

He said before dragging me out of the kitchen.

Damn! He was strong, I couldn't break free.

I wasn't afraid of him no, but him dragging me by my arm like I was some kid....that's something I would never take from him.

By the time we got to our room, I was taking deep breaths to calm down.

Jake opened the door and threw me inside.

"You will not talk to me like that in front of my employees!"

He growled, glaring into my eyes.

I glared back at him, I would never cower away from him, never.

"I'll talk to you the way I want, and there's nothing you can do about it."

I fired back.
Sorry but I'm not afraid of you.

"Really?"

He cocked his head to the side and raised his brows. I knew he was surprised.

I still held his intense glare but I could see a hint of humor in his eyes.

What he did next really confused me, it was the last thing I expected him to do.

Kiss me.

He just kissed me.