❝Led Zeppelin Boy❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬
t h r e e
m o n t h s
l a t e r
▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Phoenix pick up the pace, you'll be late for group!" My brother Max yelled from downstairs.

I groaned but found myself dragging my feet across the room. I hated group, I hated those depressing saps, I hated hearing about their stupid medications and their stupid feelings. I hated every single thing surrounding the group.

Whose bright idea was it to stick a bunch of crazy kids in a room together? If we didn't want to harm ourselves, then we wanted harm the guy next to us. Morbid-but true.

"I'm here don't go into cardiac arrest." I joked. My mother and brother both frowned finding no humor in my comment.

"That isn't funny." Mom scowled.

"If you don't laugh at it then it's only going to dictate you." I huffed pushing through them and slamming the front door behind me.

I trailed towards my mom car when the worrisome duo emerged. Still angry, I made it a point to slam the door exceptionally loud. Mom visibly flinched. Max however didn't look impressed a bit. In fact if looks could kill, I'd be six feet under already.

"Phoenix did you take your medication this morning?" mom asked in a sigh when she clambered in. My fists automatically balled up, but I released them when I realized this wasn't me.

This was my low.

"No." I answered honestly wringing my hands.

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me!" Max growled from the backseat. "Do you understand what happens to your brain when you suddenly ruin its routine?"

"Nothing bad is going to happen. I just forgot to take it today. No big deal." I stressed. By then mom had started the car and drove into the city.

"Mood swings, irritability, insomnia, anxiety...." he went off listing different symptoms and I ignored every single one of them.

"What the hell are babbling about?" I growled.

"These things are symptoms when you disrupt the routine your body has grown used to. Do you understand that if you mess this up we're sending your ass back to safe haven." Max said hotly. I know he's angry, but I know my body. I can control myself this time, there is no dark Phoenix.

"I can control it this time." I said through clenched teeth.

"They all think that, don't they?" he asked quietly. I didn't answer him back because mom drove right into the youth's center building.

"I'll text you when the torture is over." I mumbled before clambering out. I hitched my leather backpack over my shoulder and held it like it was my only lifeline.

I hated group. From the too happy counselors, to the crappy cookies and fruit punch. Everything they did was so...forced.

We were forced to reveal our diagnosis in front of everyone. We were forced to listen as if we really cared. And the counselors forced smiles on, but we all knew they were scrutinizing us so they could tell us what we're doing wrong.

The only bright side?

There is none. My therapists voice echoed through my head chanting, Find your silver lining. I snorted at the very thought as I entered the room where the session was being held.

But something shifted considerably. The air was tense and you could feel it baring down on your shoulders. A group of kids were huddled up in the corner whispering among themselves. And the counselors were talking in hushed worried voices.